check engine light/86 4runner

Old 10-24-05, 05:27 PM
chayfo
Visiting Guest
check engine light/86 4runner

i have rebuilt my 22re from bottom up. It runs like a top but the check engine light comes on as soon as I put a load on it. When I run a diagnostic test the check engine light flashes 12 times indicating the knock sensor, knock sensor circuit, and or ECU. I made the mistake of purchasing a new knock sensor only to have the light return and produce the same code. I wasted $150.00 dollars on a knock sensor, I don't want to waste another $300.00 on a new computer. Is it possible I may have the timing off, I just can't believe it due to the increased performance i have gained from the rebuild. I't runs great from cold start but after heating up, shuting off, and waiting about 20 minutes, it idles rough for about 5 minutes and then returns to running like a quarter horse. I have checked continuity from the knock sensor connector all the way to the ecu terminal and the wire is good.

thanks, totally frustrated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-05, 05:52 PM
Check for continuity to ground, it is a shielded wire and it can short to the shielding (ground)

Also the terminal at the sensor may have a poor fit, best way to check is to use a single terminal and insert into the connector and "feel" for tension.

Old 11-01-05, 05:28 PM
chayfo
Visiting Guest
timing/ 86 4runner

Thanks for the reply, it helped tremendously. After realizing the wire for the knock sensor was shielded, I noticed the wire plugged into the sensor had no shielding. I then immediately noticed shielding on the wire going into the thermostat housing that also had the same connector as the knock sensor. Rebuilt the motor, put everything back together, and crossed the connectors. Out of all the connectors that were different, those two were identical. switched them back and poof the check engine light was gone. I am getting a little bit of spark knock that just recently caused the check engine light to flicker so I adjusted the timing, seems to be working. Had a little difficulty getting the timing marks to line up exactly at 12 o clock on the cam gear (22re non turbo). So I settled for a little advanced (12:01) instead of a little retarded (11:59). Could this be causing the spark nock? Thanks again, Chayfo

Old 11-01-05, 05:56 PM
Good job on noticing the shielding.

The correct setting is the 11:59

Search this Thread