How long until brake shoes position correctly?

Old 10-25-05, 07:51 AM
How long until brake shoes are centered?

98 Plymouth Breeze, 2.0L, 55K
I replaced rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. Self adjuster was pushed back all the way, but the rear wheel still drags about 90% of a turn on the left and 30% on the right. How long does it take for the shoes to find the right position? I mean centered. Does it happen within a mile or so? I am going to loosen the side brake cable for now to get rid of drag before test drive.
Many thanks.

Last edited by puter; 10-25-05 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 08:25 AM
I read the service manual. It says applying the foot brake a couple of times and side brake once will set the automatic adjuster to the right position. It also says cable tension cannot be adjusted. But I still have the same drag. What can I do? Thanks.

Old 10-25-05, 10:08 AM
Thanks for reading. I found the culprit. The drums were out of round. They were turned about a year ago. But when turned, they were cut too fast too much. I found it by accident when I checked the turned surface. I think residual stress/heat from excessive cutting was released over the time and warped the drums. I put new ones ($50 each) in and they are much better. Now I have a slight drag. I will drive aound the block and check the brakes again. Thanks.