Oil Pan gasket

Old 10-25-05, 09:55 AM
nr4491
Visiting Guest
Oil Pan gasket

Hello!

I have an easy question, but I hope someone has an answer that will help make matters much easier!

Our 1998 Ford Expedition, 5.4 liter engine is in excellent condition and has low mileage (51,000), but it appears the oil pan gasket may be seeping a SMALL amount of oil around the rear of the oil pan. The best I can tell, it is the gasket which is leaking and NOT the rear bearing seal.

I would like to drop the pan and change the gasket. Please tell me there is a way to remove the oil pan without raising the engine. Surely, someone knows a trick or method that will help????

PS: Although it is quite tricky, I have been told that the pan can be dropped to the cross member, the old gasket removed and a new gasket can be somehow worked back into place. If this is possible without damaging the new gasket, then this would seem like one alternative. Any comments??? It appears there is only about 2 inches between the pan bottom and cross member! Thanks for all coments!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Before you jump to replacing the gasket, have you tried snugging up the pan bolts? Don't crank down on them to where you'll be in danger of snapping one off, but I would try a bit of a turn on all of them to see if that doesn't stop the seepage.

Old 10-25-05, 10:23 AM
nr4491
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tow Guy!

Yep! I have tried to tighten the bolts but the seepage still persist. So, may as well fix the problem. Have you ever tried replacing the gasket with the method mentioned in my initial post?????

Old 10-25-05, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Have never tried that route myself. Did some head scratching and decided just to suggest the bolt tightness and stay away from the gasket question. I would have to crawl underneath and eyeball it before I decided which way I would go with it, i.e. does the amount of time/work possibly saved in doing it via the shortcut justify the risk that the job will turn out to actually be more difficult and with greater chance of still leaking. Among other things, it is essential that you are able to COMPLETELY clean the gasket flanges on both the pan AND the engine block, unless the old gasket comes away cleanly.

Old 10-28-05, 09:28 AM
Ya can't do the replacement by dropping the pan just a few inches.
Here's why.
As stated, you can't clean the surfaces very well.

The biggest problem is getting the new gasket in place, and the reason for that is the oil pickup tube extends to the bottom of the pan. You'll have to get the new gasket under it, and around all the other stuff (bearings caps..etc) You can't do that by just dropping the pan a few inches.
You'll have to raise the engine or...take it out.
sorry.
Tom

Old 11-03-05, 11:06 PM
Ramrod48
Visiting Guest
oil pan

nope you cant get the pan off -out, gotta jack up the motor----I made 2 small wood blocks , loosed motor mounts up jacked up the motor-- gotta make sure fan clears , an back of motor clears firewall ,,, slid the lil wood blocks in wedged them ,, remove your pan bolts drop pam , remove oil pump , drop it in pan, replace gasket ( you can get a lil kit from the parts store that has some plactic sleeves in it that hold the gaskit to the block , makes it real easy ) first time I just used some small twine with slip knot,, anyway install pump an bolt her up