'98 Astro Van odd noise

Old 10-29-05, 06:37 AM
'98 Astro Van odd noise

This is going to sound stupid, but it's the only way I can think of to describe the problem: When driving through an area at slow speeds, just about when I hit 30 mph, the van makes a noise like "tuttletuttle tut" (stupid huh?). It doesn't happen every time I hit 30, but at least 25% of the time. It is not something rattling, but more of a mechanical sound coming from below and to the rear of the drivers seat. The mechanic didn't hear it when he test drove it, which is not surprising since it is so intermittent. It doesn't seem to affect performance, as it has been happening for years, but it just bugs the crap out of me. Any ideas?

Pecos

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-05, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Loose brackets or heatshields on the exhaust system?

Old 11-10-05, 02:52 PM
RBlairhstn
Visiting Guest
Catalytic converter...............the insides come loose and rattle.

Old 11-11-05, 02:19 AM
Do you think it's vibration or rattling even if it makes the exact same sound, same duration, and only one repetition every single time? It is just as I described earlier (tuttletuttletut). This happens on a smooth stretch of road, no bumps or potholes, etc. That's why I don't think it's a rattling noise. Much too consistent.

Pecos

Old 11-20-05, 11:16 PM
lemmyaraya
Visiting Guest
I think the vacuum purge tank is mounted on drivers side rail noise could be vacuum test for fuel system... the same test that turns your chk eng light on if you leave your gas cap off test runs once per ingnition cycle