orange vs green antifreeze

Old 10-29-05, 07:20 AM
orange vs green antifreeze

I have recently discoverd a antifreeze leak comeing from the intake manifold gasket. have been useing this since i bought truck 98 chevy for about 3 yrs. have recently been reading about this antifreeze causeing clogging of system and gasket detioration does anybody have any info on this. also would it hurt to get a complete system flush and start useing the green antifreeze after i replace this gasket. ty for any info sledge

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-05, 08:41 AM
First, you have a leak that should be fixed. These leaks are not uncommon and it's simply a matter of replacing the intake manifold gasket. Unless the new gasket comes with a bead of elastomer around the water passage holes, I add some hi-temp rtv to the gasket surface before installing the gasket.

Second, the familiar green antifreeze is going the way with the dinosaur. There is a lot of evolution going on with antifreeze formulations and there are many out there better than green. I recommend using Zerex G-05. It's becoming the front runner in overall popularity.

Also, one can't go by color anymore. For those not intimately familiar with the new antifreezes, buying antifreeze can be as confusing as buying tires.

Old 10-29-05, 11:25 AM
I took my 98 astro in to the Aamco place today because I thought it was leaking tranny fluid. Turns out it was the red antifreeze. I didn't even know there was such a thing, but apparently that is what's leaking. I'll have to ask the tech about it causing the gasket to deteriorate.

Pecos

Old 11-04-05, 12:04 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Thats like asking your mailman to do open heart surgery.

Vortec engines are notorious for leaky intake gaskets. Change it and press on. Do a google on Dexcool and make up your own mind. I have used it for years with zero cooling system problems. I have performed maintenance at recommended intervals.

Dexcool problems are cause by neglect IMHO. You do proper maintenance and it will work fine. I do not go by the 5 year change interval. I change mine every 2 years and use only Havoline brand with distilled water.

Originally Posted by Pecos
I took my 98 astro in to the Aamco place today because I thought it was leaking tranny fluid. Turns out it was the red antifreeze. I didn't even know there was such a thing, but apparently that is what's leaking. I'll have to ask the tech about it causing the gasket to deteriorate.

Pecos