old truck

Old 10-29-05, 10:14 AM
old truck

I have a 1967 GMC truck, and I have the problem that if I don't use it for one or two days the battery dies, Do I have a short circuit or any Ideas how to look for it, or what do you recomend me to do?, thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-05, 11:52 AM
Not much to check on that truck. Does it have a generator or alternater? check it first by removing the hot wire from it. if you don't have a volt meter just rub the wire on the post and see if it arks. If it arks with the key off it is a bad alt/gen. If it has a gen it could also be the external regulator. It can be checked the same way.

Old 11-02-05, 09:17 AM
I took the alternator to be checked and they tolme it's good, the voltage regulator is new, and the battery is new too, I don't know what else to do.

Old 11-02-05, 11:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a stereo hardwired in the truck? By hardwired, I mean that you can listen to the stereo with the keys out of the ignition. The stereo in my vehicle was hardwired and if I do not take the stero faceplate off when I turn off the vehicle, the battery drains. Not sure if this would help you at all, just an idea. Good Luck finding it.

Old 11-02-05, 11:22 AM
Hook a test light or voltmeter between the gound cable and the neg post with the cable off the post. checking OHMS. The short will show up.
Go to the fuse panel and remove the fuses one at a time checking the meter each time. if a fuse is removed and the meter goes to zero then that fuse is the systems short.
Find out what that fuse goes to and you have foud your short.

Old 11-08-05, 10:26 AM
I hooked a test light between the ground cable and the neg post and the light doesn't turn on, do I have to use a voltimeter?