VW disc brakes

Old 10-31-05, 10:31 AM
VW disc brakes

2003 Passatt, 1.8l, 5-speed, 4-wheel disc brakes. Also has anti-lock and traction control. I suspect this might be affecting this dilemna.

Went to change brake pads - rear. Have done disc brakes many times, but never on a VW. Basically the same except:

Was not able to collapse the hydraulic cylinder so the caliper would go onto the new (thicker) pads. I was using a large C-clamp, but the cylinder absolutely would not budge.

Any advice is appreciated.

Juice

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 11:28 AM
You'll need to rotate the brake cylinder, not compress it.

Old 10-31-05, 12:07 PM
Thanks a million. Now those spiral markings on the cylinder's flat surface make sense to me!

Is there a special tool required? Or can a pair of channelocks do the job - without damaging the cylinder end?

Old 10-31-05, 02:02 PM
I just purchaseed this tool and have it sitting in front of me. It was less than $15.

It is called a disc brake piston tool. It is a cube piece of metal with different pin positions on each side. Six different sides, 6 different pin positions. Besides the pin position nipples it has a square hole cut in each side for acceptance of the socket extension. Mine is made by Lisle and is in read and white packaging, model number 28600. I bought it at pepboys.

Old 11-01-05, 06:47 AM
Hairy and Trinitro, thanks for the info. I will purchase this tool. I have a Pep Boys nearby, the make and model number was a very handy bit of info to have included. Nice to know the price ahead of time, too. No excuse to put off the repair.