Check engine light is on.

Old 11-01-05, 08:15 AM
Check engine light is on.

I have a 2003 Mazda6. The check engine light was on yesterday. The Mazda dealer said it might be an emmission problem. They ask for $90 for just running a diagnostic checking. I checked myself the mufflers and could not
see any leakage. Another dealer this morning removed the + connector from the battery and put it back after a minute. The light is off right away.
Not sure if this really resolves the problem. Hope this is a sensor issue that gave a mis-reporting. I could not hear any abnormal noise from Engine.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Go by your nearest Auto Zone and they will read the codes for free. Post back here what they tell you. Faulty gas caps are often the problem. Disconnecting the power may have reset the light temporarily, but it will not clear the codes from memory.

Old 11-02-05, 06:17 AM
I did go there. Their reading instrument said "Error link", the same result the guy tried twice. Thank you for your reply.

Old 11-02-05, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless the light comes back on I wouldn't worry about it. Often it is caused by improperly fitting gas cap [screwwed on wrong] My wife used to have a Nissan that I accidently filled up with high test, the light came on and stayed on up to halfway through the next tank of regular.

Old 11-03-05, 06:15 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
One of the most important things about the, Gas Cap", replies that are posted here is that with newer cars, and all their emmision plumbing and sensors, a loss of vacumn in the system can trigger a warning light. One of the most usual causes of this happens when refueling the vehicle, and for one reason or another, ( too hot outside, want to keep the a/c running, or too cold, and don't want to lose heat), the car isn't shut off. The resulting difference in vacumn pressure is sensed, and can, (and usuallly does), trigger an emmisions sensor. I have had a similar issue to yours where the code reader stated that it was an "error". The error was that I was guilty of keeping the car and the a/c running while I gassed up. Just another little thing along the same vein, make sure that when you replace the cap after refueling that you turn it till you hear at least two or three clicks from the cap.

Old 11-04-05, 02:05 PM
I forgot to mention. This is a hand-stick, not automatic sedan.
My neighbor said it happened when you are too slow to release the clutch
while accelerating. Re-connect the battery did resolve such kind of the problem. Thank you all for your input.

Old 11-06-05, 06:09 AM
jpezz817
Visiting Guest
I have a friend with a mazda also. Her check engine light had been on for a year. There was a crack in the air intake hose underneath. I took the - cable off replaced the hose and engine light went off.

Old 11-07-05, 06:42 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
Cool

Just a little note here, of special intrest to import owners. This only came to light for me from a marketing standpoint. My girlfriend has a 2004 Civic EX, and at 10,000 miles the check engine light came on, needless to say, she freaked. I called and spoke to the salesman that sold it to her and let him know how upset she was that something was going wrong at such a low milage, especially on a Honda. He started laughing a bit, then stopped and said, Odds are, it's nothing to worry about, it seems the ECM's in the cars automatically send a code to that light at 10,000, mile intervals. He told me the fix was to hold in the odometer reset button, and turn the key on, he said within 10-15 seconds the light would go out, AND IT DID!! When you think about it, the average Mr. or Mrs., John Q. Public, would just got to the dealer, check the car in with the shop, and wait however long for them to, "diagnose", the issue, and hopefully, (from the dealer's standpoint), find something else they can sell you, even if only an oil change! Back when cars barely made their end of warranty, or their loan, when they died or were close to it, they called it, "Planned Obsolesence". Now with little things like that I guess they could call that, "Planned Income"!!!