97' Grand Cherokee, Part Time 4x4 Issues

Old 11-02-05, 10:13 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
Cool 97' Grand Cherokee, Part Time 4x4 Issues

Just wonedring if anybody else out there has experienced an issue with the 4 wheel drive as I am experiencing with my Jeep. Since I aquried it last spring, I would say 98.7% of the time when I start it up cold in the morning the indicator in the console information cluster says, "Part Time", and will not shift out of part time until the vehicle is throughly warmed up, usually at least a 10 mile, 55 MPH, run will do it. Usually after that, unless the car has say 6-8 hours to totally cool down, the car will be good for the whole day. Every once in a great while I will start it cold, and it won't be engaged in 4 wheel, and the display will show only the rear wheels illuminated. If i do say a quick 5 mile round trip over to town, and say get out of the car once and shut the engine, 99% of the time when I re-start it the part time will be lit and stay lit till it warms up. Transmission fluid is red, doesn't smell burnt at all, and by and large shifts fine. If anyone has experienced an issue like this before, I would be intrested in hearing from you as to a possible cure, or if you've just excepted it as a fact of life. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-05, 11:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a 90 cherokee and often after disengaging the 4 wheel drive the part time light will come on but has never stayed on more than a 1/2 mile. Are you sure the 4 wheel is engaged? I doubt that it would be good to run 55 mph in 4 wheel with limitted slip.

Old 11-03-05, 05:26 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm sure it's in 4 wheel drive, and I agree that it isn't good to run at 55 MPH in that mode. I think possibly this weekend I may just for the heck of it do a transmission filter and fluid change. Like I said the fluid is clean and red, but I guess before winter it couldn't hurt. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 11-03-05, 06:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Transmission up keep is good but the 4 wheel drive runs off of the transfer case.

Old 11-03-05, 07:34 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
I got underneath the vehicle several times, checked linkage operation, and greased linkage where it was accessable, this summer I drained and refilled the transfer case with factory spec ATF, so basically I have done what I can with the transfer case. I also know that some of the older Jeeps used a vacumn servo for the switching from 2 to 4 wheel drive, and that if there was a loss of vacumn it could cause it to lock up in either 2 or 4 wheel, but I haven't seen any lines of this sort on this transfer case.

Search this Thread