1984 F-250 Guess the rear

Old 11-02-05, 10:47 PM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
1984 F-250 Guess the rear

I need to know what markings to look for so I can figure what year rear end is on my truck. The bearings and seals aren't matching up to the specs.

Old 11-03-05, 04:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does it not have a tag hanging on the rear end? Or did someone lose it.

Old 11-03-05, 04:02 AM
C
Is it taken apart now? What are you tring to do, put new seals and bearings? they should have numbers on the old seals and bearings, if not you can mic them, some auto parts places can tell by dimmensions what size seal you need.
I think it may have been two diff type rearends in that truck, a regular and a heavy duty. How many part numbers did the parts place ask for? Two?

Old 11-03-05, 04:21 AM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
I was asking where to look on the rear to know what it is. I didn't see a tag. I'll crawl under there with a flashlight to check for any markings. The bearings for the two types aren't the right sizes. The full floating rear seal has a bigger inside diameter so that leaks. I haven't had a chance to pull it all again to try the other seal yet. It has 2.5" brake shoes, but the studs are for a 3" set-up. So I have to check to make sure that it isn't a 3" drum with 2.5" shoes on it too. Just wanted to know if it should have any stampings on it.

Old 11-03-05, 04:25 AM
The tag should be right there on one of the bolts that hold the differential cover on.

Old 11-03-05, 04:38 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Negoshe8n
I need to know what markings to look for so I can figure what year rear end is on my truck. The bearings and seals aren't matching up to the specs.
Also check your build date
I've got a late in the year model with the next years front brake upgrade
Found out after trying to mash the seals and pads in

If you think someone replaced the rear end, they might not have put the tag (which now would be wrong) back on, but from the factory or dealer, it would be a tag hanging off of one of the diffy cover bolts

Old 11-03-05, 06:05 AM
Ramrod48
Visiting Guest
Rear Ends

the heavy GVW -F250 8600lbs, in 84 had SEMI FLOATING HUBS , wasnt till like 87 they came out with FULL FLOATING HUBs , Semi hubs , you have to pull the axle. an then the hub an drum come off together ( you have to drive the wheel studs to seperate the drum from the hub ... ,,, on the Full Floaters the drum can be removed with out taking out the axle , OR removing the hub,,,,, From the factory they came with a 2 1/2 wide rear shoe , but theres enough room in the drum if its new , or a used one has been turned back to the inner lip of the drum , you can install a 3 inch wide shoe, on the semi floats..... the newer full floats the brake shoes were like 3 1/8 , or 3 1/2 inches wide ,, an yes the wheel seal on the full floats were MUCH BIGGER, there's no way they interchange the new style full float seal would not even fit in the hub on a semi float------ an a semi float seal would just fall in the back of the hub of a full float.. even the bearings an races are way different ,-- the hubs will not inter change from one axle to the other,,, an both axles had the long studs on them, so you could install dual's if you wanted to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JIM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: