Antifreeze Types

Old 11-03-05, 06:47 AM
Antifreeze Types

would it hurt my car if i put GM DEX-COOL in it. right now it has just reg antifreeze

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-05, 11:18 AM
I believe GM Dex Cool is incompatible with regular antifreeze. You could only ue it after a complete cooling system flush.

Old 11-03-05, 11:20 AM
well right now i have nothin in it because i had to replace the rad. and all the hoses

Old 11-03-05, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
My understanding is that dexcool cannot be mixed with any other type of coolant, so you have to make sure every last drop of the old stuff is out first. I have also heard recommendations of only mixing dexcool with distilled water, not the stuff from the tap.

Old 11-03-05, 12:55 PM
I also understand that Dex Cool can't tolerate constant exposure to air. This means it's okay for those vehicles that have a pressurized overflow tank. Cars with regular overflow tanks where the pressure cap is on the radiator shouldn't use Dex Cool.

Old 11-03-05, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kestas
I also understand that Dex Cool can't tolerate constant exposure to air. This means it's okay for those vehicles that have a pressurized overflow tank. Cars with regular overflow tanks where the pressure cap is on the radiator shouldn't use Dex Cool.
mine has a pressurized tank, what would happen if the stuff got mixed, i think ill stay with reg antifreeze, im going to go buy some dex cool and some reg aintfreeze and mix them in a bucket and see what happens...lol

Thanks for all the help everyone

Old 11-03-05, 03:47 PM
well, had a friend who bought a blazer, same 4.3 liter as what my 96 s-10 has. well had dex cool, previous owner mixed regular low silicate with it, in a couple years he had a plugged heater coil, seems it just sludges. if your going to use dexcool, make sure its flushed good, use distilled water, though tap would do alright. and it has no air trapped in the system.

Old 11-03-05, 06:19 PM
Dex cool

I have heard Dex cool is not all that good I would just go back to green prestone and change it as required.

Old 11-04-05, 06:18 AM
Instead of guessing, I think we should all navigate through the following link for answers:

IMCool

I don't have time for the moment.

Search this Thread