Truck Bed Construction

Old 11-03-05, 08:40 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Truck Bed Construction

Not sure if anyone will be able to assist me in this one, but here goes. I have an older, (87) GMC pickup I purchased to replace the yard only truck we had here for plowing the driveway this year. The other one was so far gone, rust wise that I wouldn't have even thought about trying to register it for fear the body, cab and bed would fall off! My question is that the bed on the GMC has some significant rust and I was toying with the idea of possibly building a wooden one to replace it, as opposed to going to a salvage yard and trying to find one with less rust than what I have, but I can't seem to find any place that has any basic building plans for this endevor. Any help anyone can give in this vein would be muchly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-05, 07:21 AM
A friend of mine had the same issue. He stripped off the old bed and basically built a deck out of pressure treated wood and bolted and shackled it to the frame. If you want to put sides on it you can easily add them later.
Good luck.

Old 11-04-05, 07:45 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping to do as well. I was hoping to possibly find some links to maybe some plans for making it look a tad more professionally built, not that I have any issues with using woodworking tools, just want to make the trip to the lumber yard before I take the rusted bed off of the truck, and was hoping to, as I said find some plans with basic supply needs, ie: wood sizes, hardware, ect. Oh well, time for the old trial and error. LOL Can't be all that tough since I have built docks and ramps for use on the lake and they usually survive the winter after being frozen in heavy ice and run over by snowmobilers. Like I said, thank you for your input.