transmission using fluid

Old 11-03-05, 11:51 AM
transmission using fluid

my son has a 96 ford thunderbird 4.6 litre,gets real good gas mileage for a v-8 .it has been starting to using quite a bit of fluid as of late .im talking a qt. in 2 wks. he has been watch underneath it for leaks and hasnt noticed any. i got under the car yesterday and didnt realy notice any thing realy bad.a little around the bolts .the bolts were tight. the gasket is one of those reuseabe ones. the transmission does have a slight slip in it. but as soon as soon as you fill it up it seems fine to me .i suppose he should be taking it in to have it looked at .any opinions on this on before we do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-05, 06:37 PM
I dont know for sure is that tranny has a vacum modulator valve but when they go bad they will suck fluid back into the engine, also make sure the radiator isnt takeing on tranny fluid.

Old 11-04-05, 06:03 AM
I believe that when the engine sucks trans. fluid through a broken diaphram, it goes into the intake system and is burned. It does not enter the cooling system.

Old 11-06-05, 08:32 AM
Yes this is true thiggy, i was just suggesting that it could also be getting into the radiator also, not that the modulator valve would leak into the radiator. I have seen many radiators fail internaly and leak into and burn up trannys and vise, versa.

Old 11-11-05, 08:29 PM
transmission using fluid

my son went to take a spark plug out and the long socket he was using ended up with red fluid on it .my son never even took the spark plug out after he noticed that.he had thought the engine was missing some ,but i told him i thought it was more tranmission than anything else. when you get up to about 30 or so you can really tell it,cutting out,or slipping. whats it sound like to you?