Kia doesn't want to start sometimes!

Old 11-04-05, 01:38 PM
Unhappy Kia doesn't want to start sometimes!

I have a 1999 Kia Sephia. It doesn't start very well most of the time. I put a new battery on back in Jan. of this year. The alternator is OK. I put new plugs and wires in it the other day. Most of the time it will take several tries before the engine will start.

While the key is turned, the sound it makes is that it is trying to start. It doesn't sound weak, and it doesn't have any dead spots. I don't usually touch the accelerator because my owner's manual says not too. Sometimes, after several tries, if the engine still hasn't started, I will pump the gas and finally it will start.

The car does it worse during colder weather. This morning it was 39 degrees, and it took about 6 tries for the car to start. It gets very frustrating, and embarrassing when out in public, when it doesn't want to start, and everyone is looking at you.

Several people says it sounds like a starter. Some say it may be a bad bendix. I didn't know what this was. They say it kicks out into the flywheel and starts the engine. If it is a starter, how can I find out for sure? Or, if it could be any thing else, someone please offer some suggestions.

Thanks,
Dean

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-05, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This posting has been edited.

"Relevance - All posts must be written in easily understandable language and must be relevant to the topic discussion the post in made in. Jokes, sarcasms, and/or double meaning posts will be considered disruptive, non-beneficial, distracting and/or annoying, etc. Any of such will be grounds for editing or deletion."

"DoItYourself.com Community Forum member postings must be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topic discussion. Never degrade any other person or the information any member provides. Treat each other with respect, dignity, professionalism and a general high regard at all times.

Publicly second-guessing, harassing, belittling and or ridiculing are all prohibited. Moderators and members donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community. Content that may be interpreted as offensive, objectionable and/or inappropriate in a reasonable persons view is prohibited."

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 11-07-05 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Forum Policy Violations - Relevance/Bashing
Old 11-07-05, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
If you can hear the engine turning over just like a normal start, but it won't fire, ignore all the people who say "starter". In fact, run away from them. Symptoms of a bad starter are loud CLACK with no engine rotation when you turn the key, slow engine rotation (which could also, of course, be a low battery), or fast-sounding rotation (wheeeeeee) with no engine rotation. If these don't match the symptoms, you'll need to look at something besides the starter.

I think I would first try a fuel filter; may be the problem and if not it's a routine maintenance item anyway. Beyond that you are probably going to have to consult your local mechanic. Fuel pump is also a possibility but you would need a pressure gauge to check that. Any chance it has ever givnen you a check engine light or any other symptoms other thatn having to crank a lot to start?

"Relevance - All posts must be written in easily understandable language and must be relevant to the topic discussion the post in made in. Jokes, sarcasms, and/or double meaning posts will be considered disruptive, non-beneficial, distracting and/or annoying, etc. Any of such will be grounds for editing or deletion."

Publicly second-guessing, harassing, belittling and or ridiculing are all prohibited. Moderators and members donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community. Content that may be interpreted as offensive, objectionable and/or inappropriate in a reasonable persons view is prohibited."

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 11-07-05 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Forum Policy Violation
Old 11-07-05, 12:51 PM
I had a fuel filter put on car last year. NO check engine light has ever came on, plus no other symptoms besides it takes several tries sometimes before it will start.

The past couple of days it has warmed up in the 70's, and the car has been starting easier. But when it gets cooler weather, it will be more difficult to start.

Old 11-07-05, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

"DoItYourself.com Community Forum member postings must be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topic discussion. Never degrade any other person or the information any member provides. Treat each other with respect, dignity, professionalism and a general high regard at all times.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 11-07-05 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Forum Policy Violations - Relevance/Bashing
Old 11-30-05, 03:22 PM
Took my car to Advance. Checked Battery, starter, and alternator. All checked out OK.

The negative cable on the battery wasn't tight enough on the top post of the battery. The man tightened it up and the car is starting much better.