Tire is losing air but I cannot locate the leak.

Old 11-04-05, 09:45 PM
Tire is losing air but I cannot locate the leak.

Tire is losing air, 35 psi to 25 in a day. But I cannot locate the leak. This is what I did:

Sprayed soapy water to stem/tire interface and stem valve. No bubbles.

Filled large garbage can lid with water. Dipped tire and rotated slowly. No bubbles.

Visually inspected the tread. No nail.

Can air leak from the side wall? Garbage can lid is not deep enough to dip the entire wall. That's the only area I have not inspected.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-05, 09:48 PM
Booyah
Visiting Guest
Perhaps the rim could have suffered damage? If you cannot find it, take it to someplace like Wal-Marts Tire center, they inspect it thoroughly, and as long as no sidewall damage has been done, can repair it.

Old 11-05-05, 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by puter
Can air leak from the side wall?
Yup, sure can
Could be the "bead" where the rubber meets the metal

Old 11-05-05, 04:56 AM
Sometimes the weight of the vehicle can cause a small hole to leak while the tire is on the vehicle but not leak as bad when the tire is off the vehicle.
The extra weight of the vehicle puts extra pressure on the hole making it loose air.
Sometime if you have a nail it may not even leak until the nail is down against the ground when your parked.

Small holes are tough to find, find a shop that has a tank that the tire can be fully submerged in, if it still doesn't show a leak try putting the tire back on the car a spray with the soap as you did the first time.

Old 11-05-05, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Inflating the tire to 40-45# will make the leak worse and easier to find.

Old 11-05-05, 07:12 AM
I use the bath tub when wife isn't looking.

Old 11-05-05, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I also sprayed soapy water at the rim/tire joint (is this called bead?). Again, no bubble.

One more thing: the tire is not new. It's been used for at least 10-20 K miles. I cannot see the bead getting loose unless I hit the curb hard with tire wall. I see no rubbing mark on the wall.

It must be a small leak on the tread that's hard to see off the vehicle. I will also increase the pressure to 40 psi for ease of inspection. I don't have the guts to bring the tire to a bathtub. Thanks.

Old 11-07-05, 08:52 PM
Finally, I located the leak. It was right at the previous repair. Either the puncture was larger than the cord, or the cord was not inserted in the right angle. After the re-repair, it is okay now. Thanks for the tips.

Search this Thread