Repairing power window in '98 Toyota Corolla

Old 11-05-05, 05:19 PM
WFO
Repairing power window in '98 Toyota Corolla

I've got the panel off and have checked for voltage at the motor (which it has). How do I get the darn thing out? And is it going to be hell getting it back in?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-05, 01:05 AM
lesron
Visiting Guest
power window

First of all place tape over the door to prevent the glass from dropping out.
The motor bracket is usually held in place with rivets these must be drilled out.Loosen the bolts on the guide rails then taking the weight with one hand use the other to release the mechanism from the guides. The motor and mechanism can then be juggled out of the gap.Refitting is a reversal of dismantling you must use new rivets to secure the motor bracket.

Old 11-07-05, 06:06 AM
WFO
The window has stopped in the completely down position. I can see where the glass is connected to the frame at both ends, but cannot get to one of them. Is this the connection you are referring to? Or are there bolts on the door that connect the whole thing as a unit?
Neither the Toyota manual or my Haynes manual seemed very interested in providing info or diagrams on the windows. Do you know any web source that would have diagrams?

Old 11-07-05, 09:51 AM
Take a rubber mallet and hit the area where the motor is while holding the switch in the up postion.

Old 11-07-05, 10:25 AM
WFO
Eldest son has disappeared in the car for two days, so I haven't been able to try any of the above.
If the mallet trick works, I'm assuming that will get the window into a position where I can access the bolts that lesron was referring to.

One more question. If I can get it out and the motor proves to be shot, can I replace it with a rear window motor?

Old 11-07-05, 05:33 PM
Yes you will be able to access the bolts that hold the glass. I think the rear motor is the same.

The problem with yours sounds like the brushes are stuck, the mallet trick may correct it. You can also do it with every thing together by holding the switch on while closing the door.

Old 11-09-05, 03:23 PM
WFO
Ahhh.....I should have known. Always get a bigger hammer

The mallet trick worked great. Thanks!!