Minor Rust Spot Repair

Old 11-06-05, 10:38 AM
BarbTim
Visiting Guest
Minor Rust Spot Repair

I currently have a truck w/ a rock chip on the leading edge of the fender and the paint chip is rusting. The entire area is approx. 1/4inch by 1/8inch. Is there any type of product that I can get to remove and repair this tiny spot right in my driveway.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The sooner you get on it, the better. The rust may be larger under the chip. Carefully sand the area a little wider than the chip. Sand until you have clean, bare metal. Apply a rust preventative primer. You may want to build up several coats, scuff sanding between each. Then comes the color coat - two layers with scuff sanding between coats. If your truck had a clear top coat, add it as the final step.

Old 11-07-05, 05:31 AM
andyny02
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

As Goldstar stated, making sure you have all of the rust out of the area is of paramount importance, also with some of the newer mattalic paints out there be sure to use the right shade primer. Blending, and just general matching of colors on these newer vehicles is tough enough for pros in mega buck shops, so imagine what it's like for a novice in a driveway. All of the steps mentioned by Goldstar were correct, like I said with the exception of primer choices. If it's a lighter color truck, say a silver, or light blue, I would suggest using a light grey primer as opposed to say a darker, Red Oxide, and the same goes in reverse for the other end of the color spectrum. Also, after applying the clear coat, (at least 2-3 decent coats), I would wet sand with 1200 grit wet paper, as well as after the final coat dries solid. This will remove any imperfections and take out any surface dust without causing small scratches.