Rear Brake noise & Pedal Vibration

Old 11-08-05, 10:45 AM
Rear Brake noise & Pedal Vibration

I recently had the rear brakes on a 1988 Olds 98 redone by a local repair shop. This included replacing the shoes, drums and wheel cylinders which essentially cost 4 times as much as the normal brake job.

I have noticed after the brake replacement work that I now get a pedal vibration along with a noise that sounds similar to what you hear when driving over the shoulder pavement warnings on the highway (sort of a buzzing sound). This only happens when I have to brake really hard. The sound and vibration then dissipate as the vehicle slows down. If I am able to ease into the braking, everything seems normal.

I thought the pedal vibration might be from the front rotors that I thought might be a little warped after the last front brake job. I replaced the front pads and rotors over the weekend and had the wheels rebalanced also. After all this I still notice the noise and the pedal vibration.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
One of the new rear drums could be slightly out of round. Think I would go back to the shop that did the backs and have it checked. They may need to put the new drums on the brake lathe and turn them to ensure they are round.

Old 11-08-05, 02:19 PM
That's what my assumption was, but I wanted to hear it from someone else before going back to the shop saying there was a problem and them wanting to do something else.

Old 11-09-05, 02:48 AM
Double post.

Last edited by mattison; 11-09-05 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
One of the new rear drums could be slightly out of round. Think I would go back to the shop that did the backs and have it checked. They may need to put the new drums on the brake lathe and turn them to ensure they are round.
.....................................thats it............................

Old 11-09-05, 05:54 AM
I called the shop this morning to schedule an appointment to go in and have the drums checked. He said they would be happy to check them out. I told him that it only occurs when your have to brake hard, not when you can ease into the the braking. He told me that the noise and vibration was part of the break-in process of the new drums and shoes. I didn't tell him so, but that sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me. Do you agree?

Old 11-09-05, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by 2old2fit
I called the shop this morning to schedule an appointment to go in and have the drums checked. He said they would be happy to check them out. I told him that it only occurs when your have to brake hard, not when you can ease into the the braking. He told me that the noise and vibration was part of the break-in process of the new drums and shoes. I didn't tell him so, but that sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me. Do you agree?
Thats the classic one, they want you to just keep "breaking it in " it until your warranty is up.

Old 11-10-05, 05:16 PM
After 2 technicians each took a test drive they decided the rear drums needed to be turned. It was like they didn't really want to do it, but finally did the work.

Search this Thread