Korean car opinions

Old 11-09-05, 04:44 PM
Korean car opinions

I went to a recent new car auto show. Out of curosity i stopped at the Kia and hundia(sp) stations at first to snicker,but after checking them out for awhile
i came away with a different impression than i had before.
I'm wondering what all you forum readers think about them?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 05:09 PM
I have 165K and 110K old cars, and want to know about the cars, too.

My wife works with elderly people and knows many elderly Hyundai owners. What attracts them, according to my wife, is the 100,000 mile warranty on engine/drive train and bumper-to-bumper warranty for 50K or 60K miles. Being unable to work/check on the car themselves, they just drive the vehicle and if something goes wrong, drop it off at a dealer for warranty check/repair. So far, she has not met an elderly Hyundai ower disapponted of their car. They must be decent cars.

Also, a friend of mine who frequently travels abroad related to me that he saw many Hyundais in certain countries. Any information on Hyndais would be appreciated. Thank.

Old 11-10-05, 05:34 AM
Well, keeping in mind that they are the cheapest new car you can buy, they are not too bad

Both manufacturers mentioned seem the have a grasp that most of their rivals are a basically used vehicles

In other words, their typical customers are looking at used, and these inexpensive new vehicles (as opposed to a new VW or Explorer), and have addressed the concerns of these customers by beefing up the warranty

If you are traditionally a used vehicle buyer, you know what I mean
(ever buy a car and have the tranny fall out 3 months later-tough luck bucko) That warranty is worth some extra money for sure

Also worth noting is the other reason they came up with that great warranty
At least at first, the quality of the vehicles was not really up to snuff
They HAD to put that warranty on there, or the would not have survived (re: Dawoo)
They have brought the quality up since then (according to JD Powers and others), but keep in mind if it's in the shop for warranty repairs it's great that you don't have to pay for repairs, but you are w/o a vehicle for that time

Old 11-10-05, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by puter
My wife works with elderly people and knows many elderly Hyundai owners. What attracts them, according to my wife, is the 100,000 mile warranty on engine/drive train and bumper-to-bumper warranty for 50K or 60K miles. Being unable to work/check on the car themselves, they just drive the vehicle and if something goes wrong, drop it off at a dealer for warranty check/repair. So far, she has not met an elderly Hyundai ower disapponted of their car...
That makes sense
Someone on a limited budget, needs tranport from point A to B
Used to trading in vehicles @ 30-60K
Likes the Dealer to take care of everything
Sounds like a good fit

Old 11-10-05, 08:21 AM
Although i'm not in the market now,but checking out whats out there.
What caught my eye was the Warranty and these cars are basically loaded.
A big turn off to me is the the other manufacturers advertizing there products as "availbl" or, "Optioninal".
At the auto show i saw a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, loaded,for around $18345. A comparable Japanese,Accord,Camry car was about $22000,American car,fugetaboud it!
The last couple of days i have doing research on owners reports,trade magazines, etc. I'm impressed so far.

Old 11-10-05, 01:30 PM
RBlairhstn
Visiting Guest
Those folks have been building cars as long as GM or Ford. They just are not known here.

Old 11-10-05, 08:35 PM
I bought a kia optima brand new in 2000 loaded all the way to upgraded floor mats for 19,000. The car was good no major problems lots of minor problems the biggest thing was at the time there were very few dealers to do the repairs. It had the big v6 with the tiptronic trans (auto or manual) lots of power, we never had a problem with the drivetrain. here is the big problem we traded it in with 50,000 mi on it in 03 it was still in perefect condition the blue book was9,000 dollars i took a major loss on it so if youre going to buy it keep it. all in all a good car if the company was bigger here the resale would be better i think most are scared of them. i hear they are planning on putting a plant here in south louisiana.

Old 11-11-05, 06:17 AM
Thanks to all here. I'm convinced that they deserve serious consideration.

Old 11-11-05, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
I've seen quite a few of them on the road, but have towed relatively few. My understanding is that the workmanship is pretty good (but I'll stick with Toyota, thanks).

Search this Thread