1995 saturn is knocking

Old 11-09-05, 10:56 PM
Exclamation 1995 saturn is knocking

I have a 1995 Saturn SL in which the cylinder head has just been replaced
116 CID VIN 8 O.H.C.- SOHC

Ok this car about two year it started making a tapping noise right after an oil change which I found out after towing it home that it was the timing chain hitting the inside of the cover just before it skipped a few teeth and busted up my cylinder head, had that replaced about 6-7mo ago. then it started to smoke well after putting some stuff called no smoke in it stopped smoking along with the 20w50 oil after about 2mos of that it started to tap again so I asked the mechanic that replaced my cylinder head what that noise was he pulled off the valve cover and said that there was no oil getting to the top of the cylinder head and I was hearing the lifter and the timing chain because of that, and I should do an oil change and put in some stuff called Lucas this stuff looked just like the no smoke stuff but I did it, this gave the car a bit more power I guess do to the low compression I was getting before the Lucas but the tapping turned into a loud knocking and he said that it was more then likely my oil pump and I should replace it, but it could be the bottom. he said the oil pump is in the oil pan but when I did a google search on how to replace the oil pump two different places said that it is inside the timing chain cover so my question is. Where is this oil pump at and how hard is it to replace?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-05, 01:40 AM
Your description.
smoking.
low compression.
Knocking.

You should cut your losses and junk the car.

If the knocking is coming from the lower end of the motor, more then likely its to late and the lower bearings are damaged.

How long has it been knocking ?
Does the oil light come on ?

Autozone.com has some info on your oil pump.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...f4.jsp#hd1-1-1

Old 11-10-05, 03:16 AM
it has been knocking by time line for about two weeks but as soon as i heard it i parked it and asked the mechanic to come and take a look at it he says the knocking is coming from the cylinder head i can hear that the noise is coming from the left side of the car. and that is where the tining chain is but i can tell if it is the top or the bottom of the engine that is knocking

Old 11-10-05, 03:44 PM
also the engine has 135K miles on it

Old 11-10-05, 10:58 PM
Does the oil light come on ?

The problem with some-some additives they can gum up and plug up things.

Generally speaking.

On some cars.
They can plug up your oil filter.
Plug up the oil pump screen.
gum up your pressure relief valve for your oil pump.
gum up your oil filter bypass valve.

Its unlikely, but a new filter and oil may do something.
IF-IF its gummed up from your additive you may need add some additive that frees up sticking lifters with your new oil and filter.
Ask you mechanic, see what he thinks.

The crankshaft and lower rod bearings on 97% of the cars are very fragile.
They have a thin layer of Babbitt (lead type material) very soft you can scratch it with your finger nail.
The oil pressure prevents the metal contact.

If-if its a lower end knock the motor is shot.

Old 11-10-05, 11:35 PM
RBlairhstn
Visiting Guest
Did your "mechanic" perform the head work? If so, you might need to find another mechanic. It sounds to me like he possibly missed something when rebuilding the motor. Don't sink anymore $$$ into it, it's shot.

Old 11-11-05, 01:24 AM
Well it depends on the diff of head work i bought a new head from saturn and he removed the old one and inslatted the new one he didn't rebuild it or any thing like that i figuered at the time that a new head was only $200 what could it hurt to try

GWIZ: no the oil light hasn't come on are you talking about on oil flush type stuff where you put it where you put the oil in start the car then change the oil

By the way Thank you for all this help every body

Last edited by big_dog; 11-11-05 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 12:45 AM
I would try the stuff that frees sticky lifters first, that you put in and run up to the next oil change.

The oil flush may create oil leaks.
As your seals get older they dry out and a film of dried oil builds up and adds to the sealing of oil.
If the oil flush cleans up the dried up oil near the seals you may create a leak.

The flush may-may loosing up your motor to much. that can lead to smoking and low power.

Old 11-12-05, 01:02 AM
i will head out and buy some today i will let you know how it comes out

Thanks again

Old 11-18-05, 10:42 PM
OK well so far so good this weel end i put some stuff called sr2 into the crank case the the noise went form a knock to a rattle so i will next week after the state inspection is done thanks again