96 chevy p.u. blower motor

Old 11-11-05, 07:48 PM
Question 96 chevy p.u. blower motor

My 96 silverado 1/2 ton 2wd 350 engine has a problem with the heater blower motor, it only runs on high speed. Just started doing it yesterday, so I tried a new blower..same thing, it just ran on high speed. Put in a new relay..same result. New switch..same result. What else is there to check or replace? Could it be they gave me a bad relay at the parts store? since everything I tried still caused the blower to run just on high speed, I must be missing something somewhere. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-05, 01:02 AM
ASEPartsman
Visiting Guest
Blower Motor Resistor

Your problem is almost surley the blower motor resistor. Your switch controls what set of resistors the current goes through making the motor turn at different speeds. When the resistor goes out, current is only flowing through at full strength. This is why you only have high power. A easy change, and a $17.00 part.

Old 11-12-05, 09:04 AM
Thank you for that response! Where do I find the resistor on the vehicle then? I didnt find anything in either fuse box associated with the blower besides the big 50 amp fuse.

Old 11-12-05, 10:32 AM
Take a look under the dash near the blower motor for it bolted to an air duct with and electrical connector attached to it. If you can't find it there, a Haynes manual should be of help or you might find out where it is from the auto repair section of www.autozone.com.

Old 11-27-05, 07:32 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. I did finally replace the resistor, and that solved the problem...for about 3 days!. The blower went back to running on high only, so I thought maybe I might have bent some of the coils on the resistor getting it in there. It was very tight getting the resistor back in under the dash and screwed into the duct, and when I pulled it out again it looked a tad bent but not to where the wires were touching. I straightened them up a little and put the resistor back in. Now the blower runs on all speeds, but they are out of order on the switch!. If low is 1 and high is 4 on the switch, now it works in the order of 3-1-2-4. Go figure!

Old 11-27-05, 10:42 PM
ASEPartsman
Visiting Guest
At least you have all four speeds! Sounds like you might have gotten the wrong parts. (wrong year, model, etc.) Take it back to where you got it and they should replace it with te correct one. Take the old one in if you have it.