Adjusting the timing after changing the timing belt

Old 11-12-05, 08:59 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Adjusting the timing after changing the timing belt

I went to the dealer 3 weeks ago to change the brakes to my Camry 2001 4 cyl. They told me at 63000 miles that I should change the timing belt. I was not prepared for $500 how much they wanted for that. Last weeked I went to my mechanic and he changed it for $220. I asked him if he will adjust the timing using the strobo light and he said that is not necessary, there are some marks on the engine and they just have to be aligned. I read in the maintenance manual that you need to use the strobo light. Yesterday unfortunately I noticed that the car doesn't start like before; I have to keep the key turned on for about 4 second to start. Now I have the following questions:
1-my mechanic cut corners not using the strobo adjustment?
2-can I do it myself (I used to do for my old Ford Taurus; I had the manual with the whole procedure and the strobo light)
3-where can I get the instructions (on the net) how to make the adjustment

Thank you so much

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-05, 09:55 AM
Usually there is no adjustment possible
It is either on correctly, or not
You would be able to check it with a timing (stroboscopic) light, but not make adjustments
Your mechanic is correct in saying that he has to line up the marks properly, that is the procedure
It should be checked with the timing light to verify that it is on correctly

I'm not sure of the exact procedure for your engine (they can vary), but someone else here may know

Old 11-12-05, 11:37 AM
The Toyota manual has no procedure for checking timing belt marks with a light. Like SS stated it can be done to check only. You would have to remove the upper cover to do (half of the belt job).

There is a procedure for checking ignition timing (only cause canít be changed because it has crank sensor and coil packs).

BTW we are a dealer and we are $20 cheaper for that job.

Old 11-13-05, 07:45 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
So what is the reason for the delayed start up? The belt hasn't been aligned properly or might be something else? What are the symptoms when the timing belt is not installed properly? Thank you.

Old 11-13-05, 08:12 AM
Need more info: Where you live, maintenace history,etc.

It's possible that the belt isn't lined up on the marks.

Has MPG changed or performance changed?

Old 11-13-05, 06:06 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
New York area; stop and go traffic that's why I remember reading in a manual that for this conditions the belt still needs to be changed at 60000 miles. I kept all the scheduled maintenace; I haven't notice gas milage change, it is too soon since I changed the belt (1 week). thanks

Old 11-13-05, 06:10 PM
Has been getting colder, still have orginal battery? would almost be 5 years old.

Old 11-14-05, 05:27 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
The same battery but it is not too cold yet; it happens during the day when is warm. Could be from bad gasoline? It should ping or make other noises; it should smell or run hotter? At idle it still around 700 rpm but after driving for a while, not just stop and go, I smell like the engine is very hot, more than before; I checked the anti freeze and it is at the level.

Old 11-14-05, 05:47 PM
You might be experiencing the change in the blend of gas. As the seasons change the vapor point is changed to enhance starting.

In the New York area we should be seeing the blend for the anticipated colder weather. Seeing as its been mild, on those warmer days after a shut down and warm soak 15-45 mins you may experience extended cranking. The reason is due to the warmth the fuel vaporizes and doesnít reach the injectors at first. It takes a few extra seconds for cool fuel to reach the injectors.

Old 11-18-05, 05:45 PM
mark22
Visiting Guest
Why it did not have this problem last 2 winters?

Old 12-17-05, 09:48 AM
mark22
Visiting Guest
I went back to the mechanic and explained the problem. He first changed an engine mount (I think is called like that-a rubber thing) that solved most of the rough shaking. After that he checked again the timing belt, he said that even installed another new one to make sure that it wasn't the belt the culprit and he said that everything it is ok but he can't explain the problem that still exists, delay in starting. I just checked today the fuel consumption (I haven't done this in a year) and is not good, 16m/1 gal (60% city+40% highway). Should I go to the dealer to have the codes checked? Thank you.

Last edited by mark22; 12-17-05 at 10:02 AM.