Intrepid Steering linkage bushings

Old 11-12-05, 03:40 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Intrepid Steering linkage bushings

My 1997 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5 litre ingine (70000 mi) has to have the bushings? replaced behind the engine where the tie rods mount to the rack assembly. It looks like all I have to do is remove some air tubes to get to them, but wondered if there was something I had to watch out for, or any tricks to removing and replacing them. Also noticed one of the rubber mounts between the subframe and the main frame is shot. Can I remove this with just a gun and a socket or is there something hiding inside the sub frame I have to grab onto?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-05, 04:12 PM
dabirdzR?T
Visiting Guest
i have done this with my old intrepid, remove the upper plenium to make the job easy, you can replace just the bushing, bend the tab away, remove the nut, replace the bushing, and reinstall everything. Just becareful as there are 2 vacuum lines on the back of the plenium that are very well know to be cracked, and its a dealer only item for exact replacement. I did replace mine with just some fuel line hose, but becareful to not kink the lines.

if i could link you another web site for the dodge intrepids, it would .NET more of what needs to be done.

Old 11-12-05, 06:04 PM
Intrepid bushing

Thank you! I thought about the upper plenum too, Now Ill do it! Ill cross my fingers that Napa has the part.

Old 11-13-05, 01:17 PM
Intredpid bushing

Well, I tackled it without removing the plenum, just removed the air intake tubes and turned the steering wheel to move the bolts over where I could get to them. I was looking for the tab to bend back, but it was never bent around the bolt head in the first place. The bushing wasnt actually too bad, but the rubber boot was torn up and the bolt was half way out of the rack. THAT was causing the play and will cost me another wheel alignment job. I took the other one out (loose too) and will replace both of them. I dont suppose you know what the torque spec for these bolts are?

Thanks for your tips...I saw the vac lines you were talking about and didnt mess with them. They were still in good shape.

Bill

Old 11-14-05, 08:48 AM
Electric_Menace
Visiting Guest
Talking

This seems to be an ongoing problem with the dang intrepids.
Make sure you get 2 part bushings. you'll need a special tool for 1 part.
Here is link to the fix. Very detailed.

hxxtp://www.allpar.com/fix/intrepid-steering.html#fig2 (replace xx with tt)

Old 11-14-05, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you need to have the lock tab over the inner rod bolts. they are there to prevent the bolts from backing out.

Old 11-15-05, 06:09 AM
Intrepid bushings

Well Im at the point of checking the bolts that hold the rack itself to the firewall. Is anyone else but me bothered by the fact that there were NO locking tabs on this rack for me to bend back to remove the bolts? The bolt on the drivers side was walking itself out when I got to it, and the other side was removable by fingers. There WAS what I call a two hole punched shim behind the bolts, (cheap way to lock them?)

Old 11-15-05, 05:07 PM
dabirdzR?T
Visiting Guest
they may have been replaced before, hence the tabs not being bent over. as far as the rack goes, there have been ongoing issue with the bushing that hold it to the firewall going bad as well, but there are replacement bushing avaible for that as well.

Old 11-15-05, 05:32 PM
Intrepid bushings

I ordered this car myself in 1997 and have done all the work on it except the first brake job. There were NO tabs bent over the bolt in the first place. hence no tabs to bend back to facilitate this repair, (and no tabs to stop the bolt from working its way out). (the rack was solid as a rock to the firewall, and the tie rod end bushings are replaced with a big help with a small 7/8ths socket with 3/8" drive to work in the tight spot.)

Thanks for all the the help!