1999 hyundai

Old 11-13-05, 04:18 PM
analese
Visiting Guest
Question 1999 hyundai

I need some help please....I have a 1999 hyundai and all of a sudden it started clicking on the passengers side and when i put it in reverse it died on me and now it wont start...i tried to pop the clutch and start it but it would'nt start that way either....so someone please help me...my brother thinks it is the timing belt.....he went and bought me one...but i am not even sure that is what it is.....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-05, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
What model Hyundai and which engine? If you broke a timing belt you could have serious damage. The clicking noise could very well have been the belt starting to come apart and then when it broke it stopped running. Quite a few of the Hyundai engines are interference engines, aka valve-benders and they all have a recommended replacement at 60,000 miles and it's a safe bet a '99 probably has more than that by now. You can look you model & engine up here:

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure

When you crank it over does the engine sound like it is spinning real fast and going wee-wee-wee-wee-wee-wee-wee? One of the indicators of a broken timing belt. You can also remove the distributor cap (if you particular engine has one) and watch to see if the rotor is turning while cranking. If not - broken timing belt.

Search this Thread