Cig lighter,dome light,radio not working

Old 11-19-05, 01:44 PM
Cig lighter,dome light,radio not working

I tried to run an electric hairdryer off a power inverter plugged into my cigarette lighter. Woked for a minute then shut off. Now Cig lighter, dome light, and radio have no power. Checked fuse in fuse panel, it's OK. Replaced it anyway, still no go. Replaced glass fuse under hood. The original was a 5A fuse. I replaced it with a 30A. Accessories still don't work. This is a 93 chevy pickup with a 4.3L V6.
My questions are: Can you replace a glass fuse with one of a higher amperage and be OK? If so, then that fuse must not be causing the problem, so what else could it be? Thanks!

Pecos

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-05, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pecos
electric hairdryer...power inverter plugged into my cigarette lighter
Oooh that's not good
If you've changed the related fuse and it still doesn't work, I think you've melted something

Old 11-19-05, 03:22 PM
Never mind. Like an idiot I checked the wrong fuse. I figured rdo by the fuse meant "radio". That one was fine. Upon further checking of fuses, I found a burnt out one that said ctsy ("courtesy" I guess, meaning dome light). Therefore, after I replaced that fuse, everything works again. Thanks for the reply.

Pecos

Old 11-19-05, 03:34 PM
Make sure the wattage on anything you plug into the power inverter is less than the wattage the inverter is meant to handle. Most inverters can't power a hairdryer.

Old 11-19-05, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pecos
I found a burnt out one that said ctsy ("courtesy" I guess, meaning dome light). Therefore, after I replaced that fuse, everything works again.
Whew
Yes courtesy light would be dome light
Glad it all works now

Old 11-19-05, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
And in case it got lost in the shuffle, here's the warning Never, EVER, stick a 30a fuse where a 5a is required . Once saw a vehicle where the owner had installed a fancy stereo and basically did what you did. Only problem was he basically started a fire that fried every wire under the dash. VERY expensive lesson.

Old 11-20-05, 04:58 AM
I figured from the start that the wattage for the inverter wouldn't be enough for a hair dryer, but I had to de-ice a lock to get my tools and had nothing else to do it with. It worked for awhile and I got into the storage unit.
As to the 30A fuse, I am changing it back to the original 5A this morning. Thanks for all the replies.

Pecos