Toyota auto trans problem

Old 11-19-05, 07:43 PM
Alan
Visiting Guest
Toyota auto trans problem

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 with auto transmission. It has developed an issue shifting. When cold it shifts so hard I fear loosing a u-joint. Within 2-3 miles it shifts fine. Had the fluid changed and was better for a week or so. Now the hard shifting is back and getting worse. Transmission shop inspected and told me the recently changed fluid was burnt and transmission needs replaced @ approx. $2,800.00. The truck has 85,000 miles, I am the original owner and have maintained it well.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 04:12 AM
Group Moderator
You might have the codes read to see if there is anything stored. Auto Zone will read them for free. A Toyota tranny failing completely, especially when well-maintained, would be a little unusual at 85,000 miles but not unheard of.
Wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion and estimate.

Old 11-20-05, 06:49 AM
Alan
Visiting Guest
Toyota trans problem

The transmission shop that told me it needed to be rebuilt scanned for codes and came up with nothing. They where recommending the complete rebuild based on teh lack of codes and the burnt fluid.

Old 11-20-05, 07:51 AM
I would check the trans throttle cable for binding when it is cold.

Old 11-20-05, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Just curious, Larry; are there any Toyota models that have trannies that are problematic? Don't tow many Toys to tranny shops unless they are pretty old and/or lots of miles.

Old 11-20-05, 04:43 PM
Not really, most of the failures are when they are new if their is a problem.

Of course they are not perfect otherwise they wouldn't need a service department.

Old 11-20-05, 04:57 PM
Alan
Visiting Guest
I will check the cable although I cannot imagine that is an issue. I live in Phoenix Arizona, anything under 80 degrees is considered cold. This issue started about 2 months ago when the low temp was about 75-80 degrees. The problem goes away within two miles of leaving the driveway at my house. It has done this a few times in the afternoon when I leave work headed home.