Idle Up, Idle Down...91 Beretta V-6

Old 11-20-05, 06:46 PM
Idle Up, Idle Down...91 Beretta V-6

I just replaced my TPS..and still didnt solve this problem. The idle bounces up and then drops way down almost to the point where car dies, and does it consistently, cold or warm, in park or coming to a stop. What else is there that would affect the idle like this...

Replaced:
2 coils
ICM
TPS
Fuel Filter and Pump
02 Sensor
Plugs, Wires, Air Filter

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-05, 04:18 AM
Check your IAC.

Old 11-21-05, 05:59 PM
Thanks was what I was wondering..was next option. Any way to test and see if bad..or just clean it? I have heard becomes clogged, but how will I know if bad?

Thanks in advance...~Jen

Old 11-22-05, 11:34 PM
*bump*

Any clue as to tell if bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Old 11-23-05, 02:06 AM
ASEPartsman
Visiting Guest
Did you make sure that you dont have any vacuum leaks? This can sometimes do this.

Old 11-23-05, 08:31 AM
My '89 Beretta would do this if the battery was removed for anything longer than a couple minutes.

There is a convoluted process that resets the IAC valve position. Its possible that the IAC valve is bad/needs cleaning, but you can try the procedure for free (just takes a little time).

I believe it went something like Startup car, Make sure there are no electrical accessories on (AC, headlights, etc)., Let car run until to normal operating temp, then another 5 to 7 minutes. Shut off car. On next start, idle position *should* be learned.

Seems simple enough, but for me it *never* worked on the first try. But it always did eventually work (I did a lot of car stereo work on my Beretta, so I did the procedure more than a few times).

I dont know if your car is a 5 speed, but mine was and the trying to stall thing was MURDER at stop signs/stop lights.

-Chris

Old 11-23-05, 02:13 PM
Thanks chris for the response..will have to give it a go. At this point nothing can hurt to try. Thanks much

And vacuum leaks I have had checked for.. thanks

Old 11-24-05, 10:39 AM
Jen

The only 2 things I know of to check the IAC is measurement of the pindle and a voltage check. I do not currently have the book here, when I get home, I will post.

Old 11-25-05, 06:17 PM
Thanks Cabot..would be greatly appreciated..thanks so much

Old 11-28-05, 10:03 AM
I would also be looking for vacuum leaks.