87 Oldsmobile Delta 88 3.8

Old 11-21-05, 02:36 PM
Danny-o
Visiting Guest

As requested here is a summary of tests & repairs performed to your Delta 88.
Your initial complaint was an intermittent lack of power, misfire, stumble condition hot or cold.
On your first visit it was determined your fuel filter was restricted and was replaced.
On your second visit you went for a 1/2 hour road test with a tech during which the vehicle acted up once very briefly. Upon returning to the shop a waveform analysis on the crank sensor circuit was performed and suggested to you that the problem may be in that circuit.
On your third visit the vehicle had a new crank sensor & mass airflow sensor and was still acting up intermittently. Subsequently the following measures were taken (not necessarily in this order).
O2 sensor checked & replaced; not working, vehicle staying in open loop
checked & replaced coil ass'y; 1 coil pack open
checked & replaced spark plugs; cracked plugs in 2 cyls.
graphed fuel injectors for possible hi resistance causing ecm driver to shut down
replaced injectors
replaced ecm w/ used
replaced cam sensor; broken
replaced timing chain & gears; cam sprocket nylon broken causing severe chain slack
repaired open sections of cam & crank sensor harnesses
repaired ign module harness connections
replaced ign module
performed dynamic & static compression tests (ok)
performed injector balance test (ok)
check tps circuit, replaced tps
no codes at any time, scanner data all acceptable, fuel pressure & volume ok, fuel sample ok, no vacuum leaks, charge system ok, battery new.
At present vehicle falls flat & lack of power warmed up, unplug tps vehicle becomes drivable.

*** Automotive ltd

P.S I've paid these people alot of money to repair this car. They can't find out
what's wrong. The car has 115000 kilometer's on it and I've owed it since it was new. I'm 64 years old and the wife and I only use it to go for groceries and to the doctor. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Danny-o

Last edited by mattison; 11-21-05 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Only removed company name.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-05, 03:11 PM
Were the spark plug wires checked or replaced or did I miss that?
It's hard to believe there was never any codes with all that they said were bad!
You need to find a better mechanic!

Old 11-21-05, 03:28 PM
Danny-o
Visiting Guest

Yes the wires were checked. I've used this shop for years but they are not the same mechanics that where there before. The lead man is the same. I can't understand it either.
Danny-o

Old 11-21-05, 05:28 PM
When does it act up...under load such as going up a hill or full throttle? If so, it might me a clogged catalytic converter.

Give your best most detailed description of the problem, and any observations you have made, like if it normally happens under load, at a certain speed, always idles fine, worse with the A/C or defrost on, runs hot, or is it totally intermittant. Is there a way you can drive it if you want to show someone the problem, and if so, how would you drive it?

The more details the better people here can help. Also include the engine size.

Old 11-21-05, 06:30 PM
Danny-o
Visiting Guest
87 Oldsmobile Delta 88 3.8- 6 Cyclinder

he catalytic converter was replaced last year. The engine is a 3.8 6cylinder engine. When it first started it stumbles at every speed but only intermittantly. They first thought it was the crank sensor so I changed that myself and that didn't work. I tapped on the Mass air flo and the engine would miss every time you tapped it so I thought it had to be that so I change that. It wasn't the problem. Then I toke it to the garage and they check it out and said it was the coil and replaced it. I picked the car up and it worked fine until I almost got home and it started to do the same thing. I toke it back and they said it was the timing gear and changed that. I brought the car home and it work fine. My wife went to the bank about 3 kilometers away and it was ok until she came out of the bank and it wouldn't start. It went back to the garage on a hook. They Changed a lot of different thing but the bottom line is it will not work with the TPS hooked up. It works fine with it unhooked but idles high. With it the car has no power on takeoff and misses and backfires.
Danny-o

Old 11-23-05, 07:44 AM
Danny-o
Visiting Guest

I'm still looking for some advice. Has anyone have any idea's about what to do next. I'm desperate, even anything off the wall idea's.
Danny-o

Old 11-24-05, 08:12 AM
Danny-o
Visiting Guest

With the TPS dissconected the check engine light was on. I had to go do some errands yesterday and the oil light came on. I check the oil and it was down a 1/2 quart. Can anyone read anything into that.
Danny-o

Old 11-30-05, 10:31 AM
Danny-o
Visiting Guest
Question Oldsmobile Delta 88 3.8 liter

Can anyone out there give me any direction on where to go from here. I don't have the option of buying another car. If anyone can point me to some one who can help i would realy appreciate it. Thank You
Danny-o