Ford Taurus radiator R&R

Old 11-21-05, 06:56 PM
Ford Taurus radiator R&R

Does anyone know the allocated time required to R&R a radiator on a 1999 Taurus 3.0 W/AC? I know there's some kind of estimate mechanics use for this.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-05, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
In the old days it was referred to as a flat-rate manual. Nowadays it's usually on the computer with the repair procedures, diagrams, etc. Probably the most common is AllData. If you're friendly with any garages/mechanics it's pretty easy to look up. Without looking it up, right off hand I would guess about 2 hours or somewhere between $50-150 for labor.

Was this a rhetorical question?

Old 11-23-05, 01:42 PM
no, not really

My daughter said she hit what appeared to be a mammoth racoon and it apparantly caused the coolant to leak out in a short amount of time and her boyfriend is a novice mechanic. He attempted to try remove the radiator and what appeared to be a simple procedure turned out to be a nightmare project. He said the radiator must be removed from underneath the car and requires a lift. The transmission cooler and AC evaporator needs to be removed and the whole nose of the vehicle. They have a family friend thats a mechanic doing side work, and charged her $150 for the radiator and $300 in labor. He told her the flat rate book says 8 to 9.5 hrs...I thought this sounded outrageous...my God....we're talking about a simple radiator R&R!

Old 11-23-05, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
I looked up the procedure on www.autozone.com and while it looks a little more involved than a lot of other vehicles, 8-9.5 hours sounds a little ridiculous to me. Got my curiousity up now, soon as I get a chance I'm going to freeload from one of our client garages and see what AllData says.

Old 11-23-05, 06:00 PM
Ok

I thought that Detroit design engineers, had enough common sence to get the mechanics input for ease of maintenance. When I buy a new car or used, the first thing I check is to see how hard it is to change the oil filter and plugs. I won't buy a car too hard to work on no matter how good or cheap it is. With AC (my field) I only recommend units I know are easy for me to work on.... I know when it breaks down I'll be the one to have to work on it.