'00 Grand Prix Transmission

Old 11-22-05, 12:25 PM
ctrese21
Visiting Guest
'00 Grand Prix Transmission

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT, 6 cyl. 3.8L. I believe the transmission is 4T60E (that's what the transmission shop said when I got a fluid and filter change before), but elsewhere I saw it as 4T65E. Whatever the case my problem is...my rpm's are too high when I am on the freeway. I believe it is not shifting into overdrive. My rpm's are around 3500 when doing about 75-80 mph. I know this is too high. iI've been told that I might have to have my whole transmission rebuilt and to really find out what's wrong they would have to take the entire tranny out. I can still drive at high speeds but my car just doesn't want to shift into overdrive. Isn't that caused by a sensor or something? Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-05, 05:13 AM
A scanner can be used to check all internal solenoids. Typically we find the 4th clutch hub splines are stripped off and need to replace it. This is an internal component and the transmission would need to be removed and torn down. At this point any other parts needed should be replaced at this time since you have already spent the money to get the transmission out of the vehicle and torn down. Now is the time so you don't have to remove it again 6 months from now. Repairs on a transmission like this in my area normally run around $2000.00 for a complete repair. However being a 2000 model year car you can probably get a good low mileage used one installed with at least a 6 month warranty. Check around and get some more estimates.
Hope this helps,
Jeff