Starter Help

Old 11-27-05, 02:27 PM
Starter Help

Ok here is the deal I have a 1999 Chevy Prism, with 78000 miles as my daily driver. Well on Friday I went out to start my car, but I couldnt get it to even attempt to turn over. Everytime I turned the key all I would get is a whinning noise from the starter, so that leads me believe that the starter has finally crapped the bed. So just to be sure it was the starter and not the battery or the alternator, I tried to get a jump from the friend, but even with the jump the only thing that happened is the lights on both cars dimmed and my car still wouldnt turn over, it would just click. Next I went and bought a brand new battery and still the samething, a whinning from the starter and nothing else. So I went under the car and removed the starter. Now I dont want to have to pay a few hundred dollars for a starter, so I was wondering if anyone on here knows where I can get a kit to rebuild the starter or a cheap starter. I know they used to sell kits to repair/rebuild starters, but I called all the auto parts stores around here and they dont even has a clue what I was talking about.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-05, 02:36 PM
Go to a Toyota dealer and ask for starter contact kit, also look for someone who rebuilts starters they may sell you the solenoid contact parts.

Old 11-27-05, 02:37 PM
try Toyota

If I recall a prism is the same as a Toyota if so go to Toyota dealear and get a rebuild kit there.Should be around 20 bucks maybe cheaper.I see Toyota man beat me to the punch

Last edited by michael van; 11-27-05 at 02:38 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-27-05, 02:48 PM
REALLY!!! I didnt it was the same a Toyota. What model is it based off of? So the kits still do exist, I wonder why the guys at the autoparts stores said they didnt.

Old 11-27-05, 02:52 PM
Do you know what is in the kit?

Old 11-27-05, 03:15 PM
corolla

Your prisum is the same as a 99 Corolla.As far as the kit goes I think it has brushes,a bendix spring,and a new washer for the contacts,Your starter can be rebuilt by you and a kit from your local dealer.
My 86 Chevrolet Nova was a Corolla the only diffreance is the nameplate.

Old 11-27-05, 03:39 PM
The only parts in the kit are the solenoid contact parts and like I said they can be had a the Toyota dealer.

Old 11-27-05, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
The only parts in the kit are the solenoid contact parts and like I said they can be had a the Toyota dealer.
Thanks Now I was researching some stuff online and one of the sites I came across said that you should make sure there isnt to much play on the plunger. How do you know if there is to much play?

Old 11-27-05, 03:53 PM
Don't worry about....the contacts are the biggest problem with the Corolla starter. Follow steps in the guides you have found on the web.

Old 11-27-05, 03:56 PM
That is what I will do then Now Im just hoping my local dealer will have my parts in stock. I wonder how long the starter will last when Im done.

Old 11-27-05, 04:12 PM
a long time

Your starter should last well into the 200 thousand mile mark plenty of time to save for a new one.
I have a Toyotas and never had any starter problems and I had close to 200k on mine.
Thinking about it I even had the stock alternator.

Old 11-27-05, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by michael van
Your starter should last well into the 200 thousand mile mark plenty of time to save for a new one.
I have a Toyotas and never had any starter problems and I had close to 200k on mine.
Thinking about it I even had the stock alternator.
WOW!!! So these are the same starters that Toyota uses, DAMN I hope I can 200,000 more miles out of it once Im done replacing the parts.

Old 11-28-05, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by griffelkin2002
Now I dont want to have to pay a few hundred dollars for a starter, so I was wondering if anyone on here knows where I can get a kit to rebuild the starter or a cheap starter. I know they used to sell kits to repair/rebuild starters, but I called all the auto parts stores around here and they dont even has a clue what I was talking about.
When you called the auto parts store did you ask what a complete starter would cost? Is that where you're getting "few hundred dollars" from? I'm not debating which route will work, rebuilding your current starter or buying a complete new starter will both work. The cost of a reman starter is probaly $80+/- once you factor in the core deposit and the best part, most auto parts store now offer life time warranty on components such as these.

Last edited by CandiMan; 11-28-05 at 02:48 PM.