water coming out of muffler

Old 11-29-05, 08:20 AM
water coming out of muffler

i have recently replaced my radiator in a 2001 Nissaan Altima
the line connecting the dehydrator to the evaporator has been broken

i have not replaced it as yet,when my car runs i have noticed that there is moisture coming out of the muffler , i smelt it and it is not fuel what is the problem and is it a real problem or can i ignore it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-05, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by scoobydoo
i have recently replaced my radiator in a 2001 Nissaan Altima the line connecting the dehydrator to the evaporator has been broken
i have not replaced it as yet,when my car runs i have noticed that there is moisture coming out of the muffler , i smelt it and it is not fuel what is the problem and is it a real problem or can i ignore it?
Is it coolant or condensation? With the cold weather upon us it's more than likely condensation which is quite normal

Old 11-29-05, 10:00 AM
X2C
Visiting Guest
I think it might have something to do with the water in the gas .Depending on were you go the cheaper the gas more likly you will have more water out the exhaust .But if you have white smoke it could be antifreeze from a bad head gasket or cracked block or head but if you are not losing any antifreeze don't worry its common.

Old 11-29-05, 10:15 AM
???

If there was that much water, the engine wouldn't work.

I also believe it's condensation. It's only happenstance that radiator work was done recently.

Old 11-29-05, 10:28 AM
X2C
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Kestas
???

If there was that much water, the engine wouldn't work.

I also believe it's condensation. It's only happenstance that radiator work was done recently.
I agree on the condensation part of it but if a headgasket was going the car would still run depending on how bad the leak was its just a idea

Old 11-29-05, 10:32 AM
road trip

Take a trip of many miles to get exaust all hot and check it then.On cold days with engine cold and exaust cold it will spit water till everything is hot.about 20 miles should do it.
if it is still smoking steam after a 20 mile trip you have a problem.Just make sure your water level is good before you drive to far and if it is low you might have a problem.

Old 11-29-05, 12:43 PM
Yes, if the headgasket failed and was dumping coolant in the exhaust, there would be white smoke. The exhaust would also have a sweet coolant smell to it. It's really up to scoobydoo to make the determination with all the information from our posts.

Old 11-29-05, 05:42 PM
tedbbald
Visiting Guest
most nissans have condensation holes in ther mufflers the are ther to drain normal condensation out of the muffler befor it can cause damage to the baffles inside. ther is a tsb on converter failure on altima's due to coolant introsion from the engine but it is specific to year and engine , i dont think your year is included, you may want to serch for tsb's