Burning Antifreeze

Old 11-30-05, 01:01 PM
Burning Antifreeze

What would cause my 96 chevy caliver 2.3l to burn antifreeze? The head was just replaced.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-05, 02:08 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
I would check the intake gasket if this were a 5.0 or 5.7 chevy vortech engine they had factory recalls on the vortechs for the very same thing you said about burning antifreeze! I am not sure how the cavalier engine is set up but if the leak was at the head gasket you should be getting bubbling and extra pressure buildup inside the cooling system. A intake leak simply lets the antifreeze bleed into the cylinder mixed with the fuel/air mixture as there is minimal positive pressure in that area actually negative pressure at certain cam lobe positions which would pull the crap in. I had a 97 chevy 5.0 that got so bad it was fouling out one of the spark plugs LOL before being repaired. don't worry though it must not of hurt it to bad as it now has 280k on it and the problem surfaced at 70k.

Old 11-30-05, 02:19 PM
Ya but this thing is burning it faster then i can put it in...lol

Old 11-30-05, 02:25 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
Sounds excessive the truck was using about 1 gallon a weekand I thought that was excessive I quit buying antifreeze and ran pure water for the summer and got it fixed before the next winter. If it is pouring that much into the cylinder heads you are probably getting lots of white smoke and a missing engine? How does the oil look? is it draining down into the oil pan?

Old 11-30-05, 07:29 PM
no smoke unless it is cold outside which it is nomal, engine runs fine, old looks good

car doesnt overheat either

Could a bad thermostat or water pump cause it?

Last edited by chevyastro4x4; 11-30-05 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 01:50 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
Sorry I must have gotten confused, how do we know it is burning antifreeze? Do you have one or two plugs that look different? it sounds like you may just have a leak to the outside of the engine maybe while driving and not leaking when setting in the drive????????????????? Lets get a pressure test done on the coolant system, any reputable auto repair facility should be able to find the leak in just a few minutes.

Old 12-01-05, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by DNT1
Sorry I must have gotten confused, how do we know it is burning antifreeze? Do you have one or two plugs that look different? it sounds like you may just have a leak to the outside of the engine maybe while driving and not leaking when setting in the drive????????????????? Lets get a pressure test done on the coolant system, any reputable auto repair facility should be able to find the leak in just a few minutes.

i havent looked the spark plugs yet because its freezeing outside. when the car is running i can grab the outlet hose and sqeeze it and theres nothing in it. i cant tell if theres water going in to the engine. i'll check the plugs and let you know tomorrow afternoon

Thanks

Old 12-02-05, 01:10 PM
Old 12-02-05, 01:22 PM
I just noticed that this car is suppiose to have dex cool antifreeze, isnt that orange, because this anti freeze is green

could that hurt the engine

Last edited by chevyastro4x4; 12-02-05 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-06-05, 06:35 AM
I Guess Thats The End Of This Forum

Old 12-06-05, 08:36 AM
wont cause the leak

Using the green stuff wont cause the leak one you use the green stuff you must stay with it because you have contaminated the system.
Do a pressure check .Check your oil does it look like a choclate milkshake?

Old 12-06-05, 09:27 AM
well the antifreeze was mixed because i let my friend use it and had checked it and said it was low and put some in and now he just told me he put the green crap in, the oil is dark, but its hard to tell because it -10 and the oil is thicker then thick. the car only over heats when it is being driven, but if its just in park it nomal.