Swoosh heard from stepping on brake pedal- Help

Old 12-01-05, 02:31 PM
Swoosh heard from stepping on brake pedal- Help

I would hear swoosh sound when pressing brake pedal. What would likely be the cause of this? Brake seems to work fine. (toyota highlander)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 03:48 PM
running

was the engine running?
do you know what a brake booster is?

Old 12-01-05, 05:46 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
That is the oh crap sound of the brake booster seal leaking vaccum, it will get worse much worse and probably fairly quickly, get it replaced as soon as possible. If let go to long you could loose braking power plus the engine will die at idle from loss of vaccum neither scenario good for driveability.

Old 12-01-05, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by peabees
was the engine running?
do you know what a brake booster is?
Yes, engine was running. No, i dont know what a brake booster is.

Old 12-01-05, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by DNT1
That is the oh crap sound of the brake booster seal leaking vaccum, it will get worse much worse and probably fairly quickly, get it replaced as soon as possible. If let go to long you could loose braking power plus the engine will die at idle from loss of vaccum neither scenario good for driveability.
I only became aware of the swoosh sound followed by a faint squeak when depressing the brake pedal after stepping on it a couple times trying to test my brake light when at P (park) and engine running. I would also hear this sound when depressing the brake pedal when switching gear to back up. I don't hear the sound much when driving and applying brake at stoplight.....I guess the leak is just starting since it's not that loud yet. I'll get it checked next week before it gets worst. Thank you

Old 12-02-05, 06:17 AM
I seriously doubt you booster is leaking or anything is wrong. I canít remember the last time I seen one go bad on a Toyota.

Besides the noise you are describing is a normal sound the booster makes when hitting the pedal quickly like your checking the brake lights.

You can check it yourself: With the engine off hit the brake a few times, the first time it will move normally and feel soft, after each stroke it will move less till it becomes high and hard. (you have just used up the entire stored vacuum=no leaks). If the first stroke results in a high hard pedal you have a leak.

Next while hold the pedal after above start the engine and the pedal should fall away a bit. (showing it is giving assist)

Old 12-02-05, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
I seriously doubt you booster is leaking or anything is wrong. I canít remember the last time I seen one go bad on a Toyota.

Besides the noise you are describing is a normal sound the booster makes when hitting the pedal quickly like your checking the brake lights.

You can check it yourself: With the engine off hit the brake a few times, the first time it will move normally and feel soft, after each stroke it will move less till it becomes high and hard. (you have just used up the entire stored vacuum=no leaks). If the first stroke results in a high hard pedal you have a leak.

Next while hold the pedal after above start the engine and the pedal should fall away a bit. (showing it is giving assist)

My brake pedal did get hard and high after pumping it twice when engine was off. Had to start the engine while holding the pedal down, brake pedal became soft again. Any idea on what the squeak sound i would hear after the swoosh? This little squeak drives me crazy when stepping on brake pedal and shift gear to back up since it's quiet in parking lot. I tried to lubricate the plunger and pivot under the dash, but the faint squeak sound after swoosh sound is still there. I dont remember hearing it before. On occassion, I would hear something (sounded like a spring being stretched) when "slowly" taking my foot off the brake pedal at stoplight. I started hearing all these sound right around the time the weather started getting cold. I got a chance to test another highlander this morning from a family relative, no faint squeak sound is heard from brake pedal (there's swoosh sound though). I appreciate your input. Thank you

Last edited by canon; 12-02-05 at 04:15 PM.

Search this Thread