Tranny not shifting into high gear when cold

Old 12-02-05, 11:11 AM
rworob
Visiting Guest
Tranny not shifting into high gear when cold

1994 Toyota Camry
165,000 miles
4cyl engine

I live in NJ and as a result, its starting to get colder. As I drive to work in the morning, my transmission takes a good 5 minutes to heat up before wanting to shift into high gear. It goes through the low gears easily, but then I find that it's riding between 3000-4000 rpm when I get on the highway. It only happens for the first few minutes though, then it will finally shift.

I checked the fluid and it is full, however I don't think its ever been changed. is this a sign of a serious problem with the transmission, or are there simple things to check first?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-05, 11:47 AM
I had a friend with an old celica with the same problem. He took it to 2 mechanics and a dealer, all said he needed a complete trany rebuild. He took it to a lube shop and had the trany flushed and new fluid put in. It fixed the problem, and that was about 6 years ago, the celica is still running fine.

Old 12-02-05, 11:54 AM
Overdrive is temperature controlled. If the thermostat (engine) is sticking open it will take longer to warm up=longer time to go into OD.

Where the guage ride?

Old 12-02-05, 12:38 PM
rworob
Visiting Guest
Toyotaman/Weekendhandyman:

Thanks for the advice. I think toyotaman hit the nail right on the head. I neglected to mention in my last post that I've been driving around with the thermostat out since the car was overheating and I thought it was due to a thermostat that was stuck shut. Therefore, I never got around to putting it back in and have been driving it for about 2 weeks since. Ever since then, it's been happening.

thanks for the advice...problem solved.

Old 12-02-05, 04:21 PM
yah...those toyota's do that. IF you look in your owners manual you will find that it is completely normal operation (just like rob said) for the tranny not to switch into overdrive until the engine reaches opereating temperature. My sister's camry had the same problem when she took the thermostat out of it.

Search this Thread