Anti Freeze smell

Old 12-05-05, 04:51 AM
Anti Freeze smell

I have an 1988 Olds 98. When I turn I the heater I can smell antifreeze inside the car. The fluid level in the radiator seems to be about the same level the couple of months. There are no signs of any hoses leaking underneath the hood.

Is it a very good possibility I have a small leak in the heater core? Just wondered if it could be anything else before I started tearing the dash apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 06:44 AM
sounds like core to me

It sounds like heater core to me on that age car.get a pressure check done heater core is no fun to replace.I think as temps fall and people use there heaters more there will be a lot of heater core leaks found.(stay away from quick fixes in a can)

Old 12-05-05, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with the heater core idea, just want to reinforce that you fix it, not add stop leak to the radiator.

Old 12-05-05, 08:08 AM
Before digging in, check the heater hose connections at the firewall. There may be a leak at a hose connection that dribbles into the heater box.

Old 12-05-05, 10:25 AM
I didn't see any noticeable leaks from the hose connections at the firewall.

I might add that the smell is really noticeable once the motor is warmed up. In most instances, the smell goes away after about 5-10 minutes. Or at least the smell isn't as strong as at first.

Does it still sound like a heater core problem??

Old 12-05-05, 10:43 AM
Look for coolant dripping from the a/c condensate drip hole (unless it's plugged, in that case you'll need to clean it out).

I also second MVs advice. See if you can pressurize the system (~20 psi) with shop air. This'll force the coolant through any leaks. Again, look for coolant coming from the a/c drip hole.