1991 explorer xlt powerless

Old 12-05-05, 05:06 AM
1991 explorer xlt powerless

135k miles, 4.0 engine, auto trans, new plugs (gapped ok), wires, filters, no engine codes/light and recent trans filter/fluid change.

Starts great and runs ok on flat roads but when accelerating it bogs down and barely makes it up hills. The air filter is new and when I checked the plugs I notice a light brown residue.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 07:39 PM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
1st thing you need to do, change the fuel filter if you haven't yet. Do you have to add oil on a regular basis? Make sure it's downshifting out of overdrive. Get a compression check from a dependable shop to make sure the cylinders are in good shape. Could even be a clogged convertor.

Old 12-06-05, 04:52 AM
Check fuel pressure. Maybe a bad fuel pump. And it's in the fuel tank.

Old 12-06-05, 06:12 AM
I see no increase in oil consumption, about 1 qt every 4000 miles. Fuel milage has actually gone down to about 17 mpg vs 20 mpg avg. fuel filter is recent, I have added injeceotr cleaner about the last 10 tanks.

What would cause the light brown residue on the plugs?

If the MAFS is bad would the check engine light not come on?

Thanks

Old 12-06-05, 11:55 AM
what shape are yor wires in, if they have small cracks and some wires are touching metal, you may lose power that way by arcing onto ground.

Old 12-07-05, 05:04 AM
I replaced the wires and plugs about 3 months ago and did check them, thanks

Old 12-08-05, 05:05 PM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
Yes, an unplugged MAF will set the SES light on. I'd go on ebay, buy a 2.5" cat. conv. and an aftermarket muffler. With a loss in MPG as you say. I would put a new convertor on at the least. You will notice a nice improvement on MPG with a $40 performance muffler also. I replaced one with a 2.5" Raptor muffler. Not any louder, just a deeper tone than stock for just under $40 shipped. I don't have a book here to answer your plug question, but I think that is normal unless it is very built up. Most likely from the injector cleaner. Make sure the plugs you have are the right ones too. Best of luck.

Old 12-13-05, 05:45 AM
I found the problemn to be the converter plugged. I can smoke the back tires now,,,thanks