Ford Ranger Charging

Old 12-05-05, 07:25 AM
Ford Ranger Charging

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger 4 cyl. 5-speed,140 K. Hard time starting the truck yesterday. On the way to work the battery light went on. While driving freeway speed it went off. I thought Iwore down the battery and it charged itself while driving. Got to work and shut it off and immediately tried to start it and battery was dead. Bought new battery. Dont know how old last battery was. Installed new battery ,started right up,but the battery light remained on. While truck was running I removed the neg cable from battery to see if the engine would run off the alternator. Engine dies . Meanwhile with new battery my radio clock doesnt work. If fact the radio doesnt come on at all. I have wipers, lights,blower fan, interior lights, but no radio. Checked radio fuse and this doesnt seem to be a problem. Now I've been told, that checking the alternator like that could harm the elctrical system of the truck. I guess I show my age when I did that. I also checked the owners manual and found that battery light is sign of insufficent charging. I started it up right away this AM. I am taking it to Autozone for alternator test right now after this question. Will a new alternator also bring back power to the radio , as well as turning off battery light??
Thanks
Bill from Ohio

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 07:37 AM
alternator

It sounds like a alternator to me with the old battery your old alternator had to keep charging the battery causing its early death.If you have a muli meter you can check it yourslf.Cheap at radio shack and a good tool to have around the house.
Just put it on the DC scale start engine put red wire on + of battery and black on -.
You should get about 13.5 volts on the meter if it does not move off of 12 volts alternator is toast.
Also clean your cables real well.I do not know about the radio issue but I suspect it will come back with the proper voltage.
Removing battery cable like in the old days is not a good idea as it can cause more problems with todays cars full of computers.Your light will go off with a new alternator

Last edited by michael van; 12-05-05 at 07:39 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-05-05, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you are taking the right step by having the alternator checked. It is probably bad, or if you are lucky, the belt is loose and not spinning it up to speed.

Check your owners manual in the radio section. Some radios have a security feature so that, if the radio is stolen, it goes dead without a reset code. When you removed the battery cable, the rdio lost power and may have thought it was being stolen.

Old 12-05-05, 04:15 PM
solution

Bought new alternator and installed. Everything is fine. 10 amp fuse blown in back of radio. Radio now works.

Old 12-05-05, 10:50 PM
good deal

Good deal thanks for the update