Simple Wiring Question Please help

Old 12-07-05, 11:08 AM
RollMeAway
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Simple Wiring Question Please help

Long story short, I am plowing snow for the first time this winter just to give it a test run. I bought one of the amber caution lights for the top of the vehicle. My problem is the cigarette lighter on the dash doesnt work... therefore the light is about useless. The vehicle is an 89 gmc jimmy, so its understandable that some things just arent gonna work right. ( dont get me started on the other 98 problems the vehicle has) But my question is this. How can I either wire the light up so that it works .. i.e. maybe splicing a wire in and hooking it into the fuse box in the vehile so theirs constant power, and then just unpluging it when its not needed??? If so how do i wire that up. Or is it easier to try to get the cig. lighter working again?? I realize it may just be a fuse but since i have no owners man. for the vehicle im not sure which fuse would have to be replaced. The dash lights, heat, headlights, plow lights, and wipers all work. The cig. lighter and radio do not though. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually some basic fuse info is stamped next to the fuse(s) or on the inside of the fuse block cover. Finding the dead fuses would be my first choice.
Second choice is getting an aftermarket lighter socket - may be called a power tap from an auto parts store. Also, if it doesn't have a fuse , splice in an 10 amp max fuse, for safety.

Old 12-07-05, 11:22 AM
Since the cig and radio dont work, I would check for a blown fuse 1st. There should be a diagram on the fuse cover - if you have the fuse box cover. Usually, those 2 items are on the same fuse.

Old 12-07-05, 04:17 PM
Check all the fuses if you have to. That would be easier than messing with the wires. You might find the exact fuse location in a Haynes or Chiltons manual.

Old 12-09-05, 01:54 AM
lemmyaraya
Visiting Guest
radio & lighter are on the same fuse cig/radio 15 or 20 amp

there are open spots in fuse panel for adding accs some with batt (always on ) some acc (on with key run or acc )

wire from FP to switch, get toggel switch rated higher than lamp draw,

than wire switch to lamp, lamp can be grouned anywhere

An inline fuse is needed before switch