Positrac Rear End

Old 12-08-05, 05:54 PM
N388S
Visiting Guest
Positrac Rear End

I have a 1996 Chevy 1500 Z71 that does not have a positrac rear end. My question is could I put a positrac rear end in it? If so, where should I look for one? Thank you in advance.

Tyler

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-05, 10:38 PM
heck yea

Just buy a 4 wheel drive magazine there are adds all over the place for them all kinds of lockers.

Old 12-09-05, 05:13 AM
Yes it can be done. My advice is that if you've never done it then get the install done by a pro. I get my stuff from www.jegs.com and www.summit.com but for trucks you may want to do a little search or call your local GM parts department.

Old 12-09-05, 06:33 AM
moronicus
Visiting Guest
The easiest and probably least expensive way is to get a complete rear end from a junk yard. They're easy to install that way. Just make sure you change the fluid and use the additive that is required for your unit! If you try and put in a posi gear set, it's complicated and EXPENSIVE! LOL If your truck is a 4X4, make sure that the gear ratio in the back is exactly the same as the front or you will have problems!

Old 12-09-05, 07:13 AM
also bad on ice

Posi is also bad on ice I got some buddies at work that are hating life now with all the ice in Dallas because both wheels spin they would rather have the peg leg now.