timing belt question

Old 12-09-05, 04:03 PM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
timing belt question

I have a 2000 kia sephia dohc i'm going to change the timing belt this maybe a dumb question but can i change the timing belt with out setting timing i mean if it is in time when i take it off if nothing moves can't you just put a new belt back on and it be ok ???

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-05, 08:10 PM
It's not as simple as you think. The sprockets will move just a bit when you release the tension - same problem when putting it on.... you just won't know if it's off a tooth. Once you're into the job you'll get a feel for what I'm trying to describe.

Your best bet is to first rotate the engine until the marks line up on the sprockets (there should be marks on the sprockets that match a stationary point) before removing the timing belt. After installing the belt, make sure the marks line up after you put tension on the belt.

Old 12-10-05, 04:44 AM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
timing belt question

I'll line those spockets up before i remove the belt if i line the top up the bottom should be right to correct?? you can't find a manual for it don't know why the car is five years old.

Old 12-10-05, 10:01 AM
Every engine I know of uses marks (dimple, arrow, or some other mark), usually cast into the parts, and a corresponding mark on an adjacent part. When you tear into the job, look for these marks and rotate the engine accordingly before removing the old belt, and use these marks as a guide when installing the new belt.

Old 12-10-05, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
And just for clarification, sniper, because you may be confusing terminologies - the timing belt does not affect what you may be thinking of as "timing". Most people talking about "timing" are referring to the ignition timing, that which you set with a timing light. The timing belt affects valve timing, i.e. when the valves open and close.

Repair info is available by annual subscription at www.alldata.com.