Cant Remove Flat Tire On Alloy Wheel

Old 12-10-05, 04:34 PM
adsinfolook
Visiting Guest
Cant Remove Flat Tire On Alloy Wheel

I have Dodge Intrepid ES 97 with alloy wheels. I have been trying to replace my flat tire, but the wheel won't come off. I have unscrewed the 6 bolts (lugs) that hold it. Then I tried to pull the wheel off, but it does not budge. Instructions on how to change a flat don't say anything more than just unscrewing the 6 bolts. Does any on know what am I missing in this.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-05, 05:46 PM
dabirdzR?T
Visiting Guest
they are just stuck, once the car is on a jackstand, you will have to hit the tire with something to remove it, DO NOT HIT THE RIM, as it may bend. I just ran thru the same issues on my 01 when i swapped over to the winter rims.

Old 12-10-05, 05:50 PM
adsinfolook
Visiting Guest
Thank you. You confirm my thoughts. I just did not want to start hitting stuff without making sure first. (because if you hit anything it WILL come off, but do I want to get it off in such a way )

Old 12-11-05, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
I use a sledgehammer for this, a 16 oz hammer isn't going to cut it. While not hitting the rim is essential, make sure you do hit the tire - buddy of mine took a sledge to the knee once when the guy he was helping missed everything.

Old 12-11-05, 07:57 AM
A more elegant way may be to loosen the lug nuts 1/2 turn and drive down the street a bit with some side-to-side motion. This should break the seal.

Old 12-11-05, 09:01 AM
Listen to kestas. Sledgehammers?

Old 12-11-05, 09:34 AM
Doh! - I just realized he's dealing with a flat. Perhaps loosening the lugs with the wheels on the ground and violently shaking the car from side-to-side will break the bond.

If you must use a sledgehammer, put some wood between the hammer and metal to prevent peening of the metal.

Old 12-11-05, 10:05 AM
I am constantly dealing with stuck tires. I have found using a plastic mallet to be helpful. The plastic mallet wont bend the rim. Just remember to leave one lug on so when you smack it it wont fly off of the car hurting you or anyone/anything in the projected path.If the vehicle is up on a lift give it a good karate kick with your heel. Be sure to spray the hubs with white lithium grease before re-installing. I helps with future ease of removing wheels.

Old 12-11-05, 11:46 AM
adsinfolook
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone. I actually used some WD-40 on the lugs and on the hub (where the hub meets the wheel alloy), then hit it with my foot about 10 times. It came off easy.

Old 12-11-05, 01:44 PM
To prevent an alloy wheel from sticking to the hub I usually put a light coating of antisieze compound on the mating surface.