is it possible for one wire on a coil to not fire but the other is fine?

Old 12-11-05, 06:44 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
is it possible for one wire on a coil to not fire but the other is fine?

is it possible for one wire on a coil to fire but then other not fire? i have one wire, which does not fire but the other connected to the same coil fires jsut fine. And if that is the case , how the heck to you get at that little bugger to take it off on a 93 chevy cavalier, seems impossible to get to?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The coil pack fires both plugs at the same time. One is on the compression stroke and the other is on the exhaust stroke. If one plug is not firing, I would check the plug first - for fouling, gap and cracks. Next step would be the plug wire being loose, grounded or having an internal break.

Old 12-12-05, 04:47 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
thanks for your answer. I did replace the wire, after having checked it for tightness, and it was on snug. So after replacing it with a known good wire, one that i tested on a diff cylinder and it got signal, i placed it on the part of the coil and it got nothing again, even after using a known good wire, that is why i was wondering if with the coil one can fire one not the other

Old 12-13-05, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The secondary ( high Voltage ) of the coil is basically one long wire, wrapped around the primary. One end of the wire goes to plug "A" and the other to plug "B". It's possible that the wire broke internally, near the end which you say is bad. It would appear that the coil pack needs to be replaced.

Old 12-18-05, 07:39 PM
carriendoug
Visiting Guest
after replacing the coil pack i have the same prob, but this time i get intermitant spark at the plug. I took a good plug and disconencted the wire at the number 4 plug, place a good plug in the wire, and watched the test plug for spark, it sparked a bit weak but there was decetn enough spark, and when hooked to the timing light the wire did show good signal yet when placing it, the plug, in the engine and connecting that same wire, i got no signal at the wire again. Why would the wire show signal from the light when the plug is out of the engine, but nothign when iconenct the plug to the engine, even if the engine groudn is tight. Thanks so much for your help here..

Search this Thread