antenna removal

Old 12-11-05, 08:44 PM
jefffski
Visiting Guest
antenna removal

I have a 1997 nissan pathfinder. it has a power antenna which is broken. The metal sheath came off. all that is left is a cable. the cable is routed through a plastic sleeve on the passenger side quarter panel. the sleeve is topped with a little metal cap which is flush with the plastic sleeve.

i would like to remove the antenna and replace it with something cheap.

i have been told that the antenna can be removed from the outside by removing the metal cap. so far i have been unable to do this.

i understand that my alternative is to remove the skirt above the wheel well, but this is much more labour intensive.

any ideas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 03:58 AM
Replacing the original antenna probably cost same as going with other type, it's easy DIY at home with the help of friend.

First, try remove the metal cap at the antenna using small pair of needle nose, becareful not to scracth the paint, then while holding the broken cable, ask a wife/friend/spouse/ turn on the radio, you can feel the cable is moving, just pull the cable up and out.

Get the new replacement antenna and feed the cable end down while twisting it back/forward then ask wife/friend turns off the radio, the antenna motor will pull the cable down.

Old 12-12-05, 11:54 AM
jefffski
Visiting Guest
that's very unclear. sorry.

i've tried to remove the cap but i'm damaging the inside.

how does the antenna just come out?

thanks

Old 12-12-05, 02:39 PM
Sorry, I'll try again.

You don't have to do anything from inside the vehicle.

Everything is done from outside, right at the broken antenna is.

Remove the metal cap, ask someone turns on the radio while you pull the cable up until it's out.

Old 12-12-05, 10:47 PM
jefffski
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by New guy
Sorry, I'll try again.

You don't have to do anything from inside the vehicle.

Everything is done from outside, right at the broken antenna is.

Remove the metal cap, ask someone turns on the radio while you pull the cable up until it's out.
the cable will come off? isn't it attached to something?

jeff

Old 12-12-05, 10:53 PM
They make sockets that have the groove that matches that collar just turn and it's off no worries of scratching the paint. I was worried about scratching the paint on my first try, but was lent that tool. Came in handy; although I wasn't so lucky a piece of the plastic had broken inside, and I had to pull the fender flares and wheel plastics off of a Toyota Sequoia, and then had to pull the motor out of the wheel well. Tore apart the dash to get the connection free that went to the radio. Lol it was a chore. If it's not broken off inside you are lucky.

Old 12-12-05, 11:52 PM
jefffski
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Bartramo
They make sockets that have the groove that matches that collar just turn and it's off no worries of scratching the paint. I was worried about scratching the paint on my first try, but was lent that tool. Came in handy; although I wasn't so lucky a piece of the plastic had broken inside, and I had to pull the fender flares and wheel plastics off of a Toyota Sequoia, and then had to pull the motor out of the wheel well. Tore apart the dash to get the connection free that went to the radio. Lol it was a chore. If it's not broken off inside you are lucky.
whoa. was it a power antenna? how did you replace it? with what kind of antenna?

thanks