Repairing jamming drivers side door lock on a 2000 ford explorer

Old 12-12-05, 08:07 AM
willnark
Visiting Guest
Question Repairing jamming drivers side door lock on a 2000 ford explorer

My 2000 ford explorers drivers side door lock appears to jam. It will open but it takes about 10 hits on the keyless entry to get it open. All the others doors unlock immediately. I am pretty sure through some investigation that i can diagnose the problem myself, but am looking for some insight into the causes and steps to fix it before i rip my door apart. any help is greatly appreciated.

Will

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-05, 07:12 AM
I have had door locks like that (not keyless) and it turned out that the switch had dirty electrical contacts. In your case I'd try lubrication first.

Old 12-13-05, 10:18 AM
My Ranger just had that problem. It wouldn't consistently unlock by the armrest switch or the keyfob. I switched out the door lock button switch (on the armrest - about $34) and it now opens all the time with the armrest button but the keyfob unlock doesn't always work.

What is there to lubricate on the keyfob? Personally I was thinking of trying a new battery in the thing.

Old 12-18-05, 10:31 AM
dloose
Visiting Guest
door latch

I have a 1999 with a simnilar problem. There look to be a small spring that has broken in the latch itself. Getting into the door is easy, removing the rods from the latch for removal looks very difficult. Has anyone removed this latch - how did you get the rods out?