Antifreeze In The Oil

Old 12-12-05, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze In The Oil

How could someone tell if there was antifreeze in the oil, and if there was why?

Old 12-12-05, 07:54 PM
S
Wow, wouldn't it just be easiest, and best to change the oil if you're in doubt? A 5W 30, in SD, would probably be sufficient and you wouldn't need the added protection of antifreeze, although I don't see antifreeze in your engine oil as anything but trouble. Personally, although I'm no pro nor moderator, I'd just change the oil.

Old 12-12-05, 10:35 PM
what size engine? antifreeze in the oil is indeed trouble, wouldn't start it, run it or do anything till the problem was found out. antifreeze (dexcool maybe?) say it was 50/50 mixed with water.....water in the oil is bad to the bearings when its running. if its a 4.3 liter. intakes are known for intake gaskets going, leaking antifreeze, more with dexcrud, does it have a oil cooler in the radiator? or external? anyway, when if its found and fixed.... change the oil of course, but change it in short intervals, maybe 500 to 1,000 miles to make sure its all out, oils cheap, engines ain't. there are also oil analysis machines labs use (may find one online) they take the oil, analyze it to find out its composition, and can indeed find out if there is antifreeze in the oil, compared to fresh samples of what your using.

Old 12-12-05, 11:29 PM
Z
well i think you mean like antifreeze and oil mixed right? It usually forms a greyish milky like substance. If your oil doesnt look like regular oil, that might be an indicator. If you've got antifreeze in your oil you may have a bad headgasket or head. Not good. If youve driven it like that for a while, your engine might be toast.

if its your grand am, good luck, those quad four gm engines are known for having head problems

Old 12-13-05, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by v8driver
what size engine? antifreeze in the oil is indeed trouble, wouldn't start it, run it or do anything till the problem was found out. antifreeze (dexcool maybe?) say it was 50/50 mixed with water.....water in the oil is bad to the bearings when its running. if its a 4.3 liter. intakes are known for intake gaskets going, leaking antifreeze, more with dexcrud, does it have a oil cooler in the radiator? or external? anyway, when if its found and fixed.... change the oil of course, but change it in short intervals, maybe 500 to 1,000 miles to make sure its all out, oils cheap, engines ain't. there are also oil analysis machines labs use (may find one online) they take the oil, analyze it to find out its composition, and can indeed find out if there is antifreeze in the oil, compared to fresh samples of what your using.

its in a 1996 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L

Old 12-13-05, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
That miky grey substance zzzz refers to (mixture of oil and water/anitfreeze) is sometimes referred to as "peanut butter". Very distinctive appearance compared to what the oil would normally look like.

Old 12-13-05, 07:14 AM
its hard to tell so im just going to change the oil and see what it looks like, then i'll let you guys now

Old 12-13-05, 07:56 AM
I
I am also thinking head gasket. Search usenet. Get if fixed before you need a new engine.

Old 12-13-05, 08:57 AM
i drove it a little bit after i replace the head, but now its been parked all ripped apart

Old 12-14-05, 07:27 PM
D
There was a head gasket recall on your car. We had one with the same problem.

Old 12-14-05, 09:27 PM
Ok thanks, i just dont know if i want to fix this thing or let it sit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: