Brake lights stick

Old 12-13-05, 10:46 AM
Brake lights stick

I have a 1990 chevy p/u. Often the brakes lights remain on after I let up on the brake pedal. Doesnt happen everytime. To make them go off, I tap the pedal upward and the brake lights go off. The pedal just does not seem to come all the way back up. It does not take much to get them to shut off, just a tap upward will do it. I have bled the brakes several times and even replaced the master cylinder. I suppose the switch could just be too sensitive and need replaced but that doesnt seem likely. I dont know, so I am asking to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-05, 11:17 AM
Kadekoman
Visiting Guest
The first thing I would check is the spring that pulls the brake pedal back up, you could have a bit of debris in it that is not allowing it to fully compress, or it could be bent or damaged in some way. Also lubricating the pivot point of the pedal attachment may help. Anyway that is my 2-cents.

Old 12-13-05, 12:13 PM
it kinda does sound like the brake light switch.

Old 12-13-05, 03:32 PM
had same problem

Had same problem on a 89 chevy pickup mine was the switch on the brake pedal.It is easy to replace

Old 12-13-05, 04:54 PM
I hope your fix is as easy as fixing the brake switch. I've been battling this problem with my 71 Cutlass for the past 10 years. I was able to catch this problem in the act and find the problem is NOT the brake switch, but something else that sticks. I'm forced to take the whole booster/master cylinder assembly off some day and inspect each part until I find the problem.

Search this Thread