Toyota Camry steering wheel "groans"

Old 12-14-05, 09:32 PM
Toyota Camry steering wheel "groans"

2003 Toyota Camry, 4 Cyl Engine, Auto Trans, low miles 24,000

A couple of months ago while traveling across country I was 1200 miles from home and I had an oil change and tire rotation performed by the local Toyota dealer. My car ran fine and had no noises prior to having it serviced. After picking up the car within a few hours there was an intermittent "groan" when turning the steering wheel.

It happens on both left and right turns and sounds like it's coming from where the wheel meets the top of the steering column. By the time it started getting louder and more often, I was aout 500 miles from this dealer so I wasn't going back to complain. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Does it do it just while moving or also while standing still?

Check fluid level before you do anything. Although I wouldn't think you would hear the groaning where you describe, low fluid level will make the power steering pump complain. Might also check lugnut security.

Old 12-15-05, 06:02 PM
You need to lube the sterring shaft where it exits the lower column. Apply grease between the intermediate shaft and grommet.

Old 12-15-05, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Going to have to look on my wife's Camry to see where that junction is in case her's starts groaning.

Toyman is really Santa Claus? Does this mean we all get Camry's in our stockings???

Old 12-15-05, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Noise is definitely inside the car both moving or standing still. I'll try to grease the grommet on Saturday and I'll post the results.

Old 12-18-05, 09:56 PM
Thumbs up I found it!

I followed the steering shaft down to the firewall. There is a small universal joint and then a short section of shaft that extends through the firewall. Around this short section is a large rubber grommet. The noise was coming from the shaft turning and rubbing against it. I juiced it up with silicone spray and the noise is gone. If it returns too soon I'll try some non-melting silicone grease or synthetic grease, I use both and they hold up a long time.

What strikes me is that the "groaning" noise transferred up the steering column and sounded like it was coming from just where the steeringwheel connects to the column. I hope this helps someone else.

I'm wondering if the fact that this happened a few hours after having the car serviced is a coincidence, or was something done that put the shaft out of it's original alignment?

Old 12-19-05, 12:01 AM
They didn't do anything, Its a known problem and their is a TSB for it.

Old 12-19-05, 11:31 AM
Thanks toyotaman, you hit the nail right on the head!