Rotate Rotors

Old 12-15-05, 07:12 AM
Rotate Rotors

when they say to rotate the rotors, do they mean take it off and turn it a little and put it back on?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 08:10 AM
never heard of it

I never heard of rotating the rotars.You mean the brake rotars right?I have heard of turning rotars maybe thats what you mean.If so you need to have a machine shop with a lathe do it.

Old 12-15-05, 08:42 AM
ok prolli be cheaper to get new ones

Old 12-15-05, 08:52 AM
yep

Make sure you get quality ones cheap ones warp easy.Made in USA or Canada are good.
You might be able to have your old ones turned it depends on how thick they still are and how thick they will be after it is turned.If they have never been turned yet it might be possible to stay in legal limits.Call around and see what the price diffrance is ,might be better off with new.

Old 12-15-05, 10:29 AM
I can't imagine that it would be cheaper to purchase new rather than have your rotors turned. As long as the rotor is within specs and not greviously grooved or seriously warped, that would be the way to go.

Old 12-15-05, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by michael van
Make sure you get quality ones cheap ones warp easy.Made in USA or Canada are good.
You might be able to have your old ones turned it depends on how thick they still are and how thick they will be after it is turned.If they have never been turned yet it might be possible to stay in legal limits.Call around and see what the price diffrance is ,might be better off with new.
4mm thick dont know wht the min is

Old 12-15-05, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by thiggy
I can't imagine that it would be cheaper to purchase new rather than have your rotors turned. As long as the rotor is within specs and not greviously grooved or seriously warped, that would be the way to go.

40 dollars for a usa made one, adavance auto here is having a big sale on them

Old 12-15-05, 05:43 PM
I think your measurement is wrong. 4mm is VERY thin. How did you measure them? What vehicle are you working on. Do you have a problem with the brakes or is it just time to replace the pads?
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 12-15-05, 07:30 PM
I took it to a deal ship, i dont know if they were talking about the pads or rotor.

when i have to hit the brakes hard the passenger front tire locks up and trips the abs

Old 12-15-05, 08:29 PM
Well that makes better sense. Im sure they were referring to the pads. Under normal braking does the R/F wheel lock up?
Billy

Old 12-16-05, 04:04 AM
Some rotors have the minimum thickness to which you can turn them imprinted on the body of the rotor.

Old 12-16-05, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by billys68ss
Well that makes better sense. Im sure they were referring to the pads. Under normal braking does the R/F wheel lock up?
Billy
Sometimes, I know that one brackes hard because the tread on that tire is almost gone

Old 12-16-05, 07:46 PM
The amount of tread on the tire really has nothing to do with the braking, unless you have flat spots... like from skidding. If you have a lock up condition you could have serious problems or if its just when you brake hard then it could be normal operation of the ABS system. I think we need a little more information here. Including the vehicle you are working on.
Billy

Old 12-17-05, 06:44 AM
1990 Chevy Astro AWD with ABS

the guy at the dealer ship said that that brack is causeing the wheel to stop harder or faster then all the others that is why the tire wear is so bad, but i've tried switching the rotors around and the pads and the same thing on the same with, i've tried bleeding all the brakes. i dont have the money for someone to work on it.

Old 12-17-05, 02:06 PM
does it pull

If your front brake locks up like you say you sure whould know it.It would pull like a son of a gun.I would think on the verge of undrivable.

Old 12-17-05, 04:57 PM
I have to agree with Michael. If it doesnt pull then you dont have a brake locking up and again braking doesnt wear your tires, unless you are sliding on them. It sounds more like you may have an alignment issue as far as the tire wear. Thats a separate issue so we should concentrate on your braking problem for now. Is your ABS light on? What is the condition of the brake fluid? When you changed the brake pads were you able to easily press the piston back into the caliper? You should feel resistance, but not very high resistance. Did you release the pressure through the bleed screw when you did so?
Billy

Old 12-17-05, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by michael van
If your front brake locks up like you say you sure whould know it.It would pull like a son of a gun.I would think on the verge of undrivable.

it dose pull really, sometimes it almost takes me off the road

Old 12-17-05, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by billys68ss
I have to agree with Michael. If it doesnt pull then you dont have a brake locking up and again braking doesnt wear your tires, unless you are sliding on them. It sounds more like you may have an alignment issue as far as the tire wear. Thats a separate issue so we should concentrate on your braking problem for now. Is your ABS light on? What is the condition of the brake fluid? When you changed the brake pads were you able to easily press the piston back into the caliper? You should feel resistance, but not very high resistance. Did you release the pressure through the bleed screw when you did so?
Billy

no abs light, when i switch the rotors around it was hard getting the pads over the rotors