1997 pathfinder clutch problems

Old 12-18-05, 03:02 PM
bzmt
Visiting Guest
1997 pathfinder clutch problems

our 1997 nissan pathfinder, with 5 speed manual transmission, had functioned well until jan 2005 when it began to be difficult to shift gears without grinding or even getting it out gear. The clutch pedal seems soft and spongy. Dealer replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders at that time. Clutch still did not feel right and experienced numerous instances of the previously mentioned problems. Dealer bled the cylinders about 4 more times. In dec 2005, we could not get the car out of gear and convinced the dealer to replace the master and slave once more, dealer kept insisting that it was just air in the lines. fine but how many times does it take to succeed. I have watched the slave cylinder action and it seems to function properly and I assume that the piston travel is adequate since there appears to be no way to adjust the piston travel. Is there an adjustment on the pedal shaft? Could the problem be in the clutch plate itself? I would certainly appreciate any assistance anyone could give on this problem

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-05, 03:11 PM
You can make some adjusment at the clutch master cylinder rod by loosing the nut and spin/turn the rod out two-three turns and recheck the clutch pedal, if it's stills grinding, try another turn or two at a time, you don't want to over-adjust the rod, it's will burns up your clutch.